• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

WTF: Diawa Infinity snaps on first outing

Howard Cooke

Am on my first barbel trip and using the infinity for the first time-I bought it to replace a Fox Kevlar I had stolen. Can't even blame it on a 25lb barbel. Was just about to cast when the line got caught in a tree. I hardly tugged the thing when the rod snapped just below the third eye from the tip. I can only assume its just a bad rod as they are meant to be great. Anyone else heard of this happening?

Briefly:
It happens occasionally - on some makes more than others.
Reasons for snapping are usually few, the nature of the break and position can add some light to what the probable cause may have been.
Blank failure due to a manufacturing fault usually occurs in the first few sessions of using the rod.
This often looks like a clean break - snapped like a carrot is a good description.
Other damage may be caused by impacts, crushes etc and can result in things 'falling apart'.
'High Sticking' can also result in extra strain on the rod and leading to failure.

Hello Ade.

Cheers
Bob

Certainly is a strange place for a rod to snap, I did have a Connoisseur rod snap just below the tip on the cast once.
I contacted the shop I bought it from and within 2 weeks had a new section.

Lovely rod

Hi
I had the same thing happen to me on my visit to Redmire :)
The rod was a 2.75 TC ESP
The first thing to look for is the type of break
Is it a "carrot" break ie is it a vice clean snap Or is it a "celery" break
regards John

After spending a week in Devon with the hippy communities around Totnes I'd say it was cosmic payback for stealing the Fox kevlar.

Ade, you are a bad man :D:D:D I laughed out loud when I read your post because similar thoughts had crossed my mind when I read the OP, but your added dimension appealed to me enormously. Hilarious :p

As for the rod snapping...it happens, simple as that. I have never been that unlucky, but several mates have, and I have lost count of how many times I have read about it. I would contact the seller and request a replacement, but be willing to send the broken section back for examination. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Well done to David and Ade on there constructive posts to this thread we can see where they are trying to take this. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well done to David and Ade on there constructive posts to this thread we can see where they are trying to take this. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi John, I read your second post after posting my amendment (I don't type that fast with one finger...trust me on that :D) because on reading my original effort, I thought better of leaving it at that. OK?

Having said that, the way the OP was worded was kind of asking for trouble from those with a sense of humour!

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Hi OP :)

ignore the side tracking to disrupt what could be a valuable thread to you and others.

In my situation when I spoke to customer services at ESP they told if the snap was a clean "carrot" type break it could well be a flaw in the carbon but if it was a "celery" type snap then it would need investigating :)

Mine was the "carrot" snap and they sent a replacemnet top free of charge,

I hope this helps :)

we can see where they are trying to take this. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Speak for yourself, I see only a bit of banter.:confused:

To the OP, stuff happens, even to the best of rods from the best of manufacturers. Get in touch with the vendor ASAP.

Don't let it colour your perception of a brand, as so many do. Judge the brand on what they do to rectify the situation. In hundreds of rods over my entire angling life, I've had it happen just once. Fox rectified the situation quickly, despite the retailer trying to suggest the break was my fault. I still have quite a few Fox rods. I also have several Greys rods, which if you look to the forums, surely should have broken by now!;):D

Mr Young,

I admire your charity work immensity but do think you should lighten up a bit. Your one dimensional seriousness is a bit wearing, this is only fishing, we are not negotiating for world peace or feeding the worlds starving, it's supposed to be recreation.

As for the rod I had one snap on me once, I cant remember the make but it was a light carp rod, I put it down to the fact that I had dropped it while setting it up and the place where it snapped was just where it hit the rod pod, not enough to do any damage I thought but who knows with mass produced carbon blanks. I just shrugged it off and moved on......Sometimes sh!t just happens.

Mr Williams,

yet again I thank you for your words of wisdom :rolleyes:

I pointed the fact it is just fishing to you on the last thread you decimated ;)

Oh, and the op stands a very good chance of getting his top section replaced for free.

regards John :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D light enough ?

The meaning of the last part of my sentence is framed of course by the context given to it by the start and as such "I had stolen" is a reference to something taken from me, hence the need for a replacement. BUT, the beauty of the English language is its ability to offer up endless opportunities for playfulness and I did actually laugh out loud when I read the first response to my post. Its all good banter and this combined with many other pieces of good advice have dulled the frustration and annoyance of an expensive and broken rod. So thanks to all. The session ended with a near double, tamed very well I have to say on my other rod-the Martin Bowler- from a tight snagy swim where little line good be given to the angry barbel. Thanks again to all- for the advice and the humour.

Back