• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Worth a long drive to the wye this weekend?

Jon Kennard

Hi guys I wad planning a trip from north Devon to the wye this weekend. I now see rain is due Friday and Saturday. Plus the temp is dropping to :(.
You guys that fish it regularly is it worth the effort not feeling the love right now. Will bev to cancel airbnb and take a hit cheers Jon

Hard to say really Jon.

I would be more concerned about dropping temp than rain re the barbel...however,
Wye banks and heavy rain is not an always pleasant combination.

Thanks Graham you know them well. I Don't know them enough at all :(
Yes 3 degrees on Sunday morning. Im not convinced doesn't feel like the right thing to me. A lot of effort and expense on my own

Yes I know that saying cliff and ordinarily that's me. Very happy to catch chub but a barbel welcome. Its the effort from here and being on my own. Plus van had a few blips running today. It's a lot of effort and expense for little or no returns. But that's the game I guess

Jon a bit of rain might not do the banks any favours but it’s certainly not putting the fish off.
A temperature drop can go either way Jon. I’ve experienced it to switch them on as often as I’ve experienced it to switch them off.
I don’t think you should be looking at it in a effort vs reward sense.
For me The effort is the effort and the reward is being on the bank. Those are the two guaranteed things that should be enough to make you decide if your up for going or not.

Thanks rich for your wise words. I think im also fighting the fact ive not had a bass on the last 6 trips due to fishing in unfavourable conditions. I don't think I could stand another blank. Plus the money side of it is pretty high.

Saturday is going to be horrendous weather wise in these parts, very heavy rain. This morning its2 cool but heavy rain coming in soon. Sunday bright with no rain, but cooler. The Wye rises quickly and the rain today and Saturday will almost certainly see the river in flood by Saturday, certainly Sunday. All very well following your heart, but I reckon this time you should follow your head.
The river will still be here in a few weeks, not worth the trip at the moment I would say John.

I was out yesterday below ross and the banks were very dodgy, the river had about 3 ft on it and looked absolutely spot on, had a 7lb first chuck and thought we were in for a red letter day as it's usually quite prolific where we were but it was not to be, never had another bite in 5 hours and my buddy blanked without a touch...

Jon.
If you do decide to come I am happy to suggest a dt stretch that is pretty safe and suggest a swim or two that should produce in high water.

The rain coming in today is relatively mild

Pm me.

Last edited:
Take every opportunity you can before winter arrives Jon.

You wont catch anything by staying at home, and the Wye Valley is simply stunning this time of year (when isn't it?). I never ever regret going...only not going. And the fact it could be challenging is all part of the appeal.

Digressing from the Wye but so true on all fronts. After a decent start, I'm on consecutive blank number 7 or 8 tomorrow but raring to go.
The last 2 blanks were 12 hour shifts on a new pike water, not a run between us but honestly thoroughly enjoyed it trying to work out a very challenging place and just willing the drop-off to go.Got soaked to the skin a little after 7am, the old Flecktarn goretex gave up and i was damp to the core all day. But returned home very happy & contented. We fished intelligently and as a team, lovely surroundings, learnt a lot and had some good banter.
Just couldn't find the fish or they weren't interested but we'll crack it eventually or die trying.
But ready for a go on the river tomorrow, and hopefully a barbel. If not, c'est la vie. Work again Monday☹
Get thee sen there Jon

Deffo made the right choice..................sitting in torrential rain on slippery banks watching motionless tips as the river rises around your feet or a nice warm house and pie and chips...............no brainer,they’ll still be there when things get back to normal 👍 👍

Already down for a few days on the river.
Well its really piddling down here at Symonds Yat at the moment.
Didnt fish yesterday as tried to get my boiler going , no joy.
So no central heating or hot water cant get much worse .

I am here at the river so I will have a bash this afternoon !
Home Sunday .

The whole Wye fishing experience for me is so much more pleasant if you can fully enjoy the surroundings,,,in the dry.
He who dares !!

Back