• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wormery

Bob Gill

Administrator
Staff member
Many moons ago (around 12 years+) I wrote an article on keeping lobworms.
https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/technical-factual-articles/5641-worms-diy-wormery.html

Recently I have updated the equipment and pleased to say that a new wormery has been going around 7 to 8 months. The same principles generally apply to my original article but the new 'housing arrangements' are so much easier to access and maintain.

wormery.jpg

Cheers
Bob

Yes, 'tis the Wormcity one. Worms are breeding as well - got about 400 big lobs in there at the moment.
Cheers
Bob

Are they definitely lobs, Bob? I didn't think that lobs did that well in wormeries, given that they tend to be deep burrowers.

I've had a worm city for about eighteen months now and I initially "charged" it with approx 500 Dendrobenas and tigers. they're breeding like crazy in mine. And I reckon they increased at least 15- 20 fold since start up.

I did chuck in a load of lobs from the garden and they seem to have either snuffed it or vacated the wormory.

Yes Haydn - definitely lobs. I know that they are supposed to be difficult to keep but providing you don't overcrowd and keep them in a suitable area, they do fine.
When I upgraded from my 'bins' (in first article) to the Wormcity one, I noticed their (WC) comments on lobs and was initially concerned. But things have gone fine.
Think also that part of the trick is keeping them at fairly even temperatures. Apparently lobs can live for up to 6 years in the wild.
Cheers
Bob

I started a wormery about 2 months ago and used a plastic dustbin .
Drilled plenty of holes in the top for ventilation and holes in the bottom for drainage . Used a mixture of farmyard manure and top soil . Stocked it with Lobworms from my local tackle shop and left them to get on with it and at the moment they seem to be doing ok .

Sorry for impersonating Bob.....

But from my experience, Marty, yes. But I'd also say the the smell is minimal, or at least it should be if you are doing things correctly. If you allow the wormery to be come anaerobic then it will smell a bit stagnant. The trick is to error on the side of caution and under feed the worms. If you put in more than they can cope with then that's when you'll get problems. Keep the input varied, bread, greens, shredded cardboard, plenty of crushed egg shells (these are important as they help to reduce any acidity...apparently) and feed regular but small amounts and and also put some gloves on and turn things over every couple of weeks (let's the air get to the contents) and you won't got too far wrong. They do attract flies but they are the smaller fruit flies, rather than blue bottles.

When I started mine I thought that it was going to be a load agg and not very successful but I have been surprised at just how easy it's been.

cheers haydn, that'll do for me - the mrs was getting all shirty as there are a couple at her works and she said they attract fruit flies galore and stink to high heaven....

i'll surprise her with a big green wormery and take the flack like a man!

No problems Haydn - you've covered it. The design of the Wormcity one makes the lower trays shallow in comparison with the top. The lobs will make their way down to the sump. Important to drain this now and then to prevent drowning. I also turn things over to get the air in and swap the trays around. Although my kit came with 4 trays I'm only using 2.
Marty - Smell is minimal if things are OK and balanced. If it gets pungent then there may be problems with a dead worm and it's important to take these out otherwise they will turn the rest.. I've also found that the coconut (Coir) blocks useful for bedding.

Cheers
Bob

Another thing that these denbrobenas/tigers/brandlings like is shyte. Contrary to what you'd think this doesn't seem to make it smell any worse. My missus has a rabbit and four guinea pigs and I make sure some of their bedding goes in. I think the hay helps a bit too.

Sad as it is, I do actually have some pictures:

Bob, I've found it best to leave the tap open so no water collects in the sump. The worms do go down in the sump quite a bit and if it's left to drain, as it does into that old pot, then the worms will survive in the sump rather than drowning in any liquid that would otherwise gather down there.

I'd also add that after eighteen months I'm getting approx a tray of compost from these little fellas on average about once every six weeks.

Great thread this I was looking at starting a wormery mainly for my perch fishing in the winter but after researching it gathered that breeding lobworms was virtually impossible.

Any chance of a step by step guide to getting started.

Thanks,

Pete.

Any chance of a step by step guide to getting started.

Thanks,

Pete.

Pete, it's really quite simple.

First place the wormery in a sheltered part of your garden, out of both direct sunlight and preferably somewhere that won't get the harsh winter winds.

When you buy a wormery you will get a block of coir dust. Soak this and add some shredded, wet newspapers. Add a hand full or two of compost. Buy a tub of worms from ebay - Tiger Worms Organic Composting Worms for Wormeries & Composting 50g-1Kg | eBay

...the worms will come in their own compost which will contain not only worms and worm eggs but also some of the bacteria needed to kick start the wormery. Chuck the whole lot in and just let them establish themselves for a month or so and then SLOWLY start adding some food. At this stage tea bags and light greens such as lettuce that's on the turn, crumbed bread etc. And don't foget to crush up old egg shells once in a while.

As I said in an earlier post, just let it get going and error on the side of under feeding. Turn things over regularly.

It's easy mate.

What the heck are 'tiger worms'? I have a feeling it's probably a proprietary name for brandlings, as they are the only worms I know of with distinctive stripes. The thing is, I don't rate brandlings that highly for fishing. They ooze a yellow, acrid, bitter smelling liquid when pierced or snapped...not good.

Cheers, Dave.

Back