• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter Suit

David Parker

Hi all

I know this topic gets covered year in, year out, but I had a scan back as far as November and (though I wouldn't put it past me to miss something obvious) I can't find a recent thread on this.

I'm considering the Igloo Mk6 suit as a replacement for my years' old Sundridge Specimen Activ suit. After much abuse it has finally given up the ghost. I know the earlier Igloo suits were highly rated on here - but how does the Mk6 compare? Is it any good?

Are there better alternatives at around the £100 mark?

Thanks for your help.

Hi David,

I recently bought the Trakker 3in1 suit which I'm really happy with. Have heard good things about Sundridge suits though and I was tempted to buy one myself. But I think you have to try these things on and when I tried the Sundridge, I simply didn't like it. Was a little too high on the waist and thought it would rise quite a lot and result in me constantly pulling the jacket down.

Back to the Trakker Suit; couldn't recommend it highly enough. Previous Trakker suits reaped of poor quality stitching and pockets and the likes of which would fall away on the first few outings. They've changed manufacturers this time round and really put the suit through it's paces. So much so they chucked a guy out of plane to test it's durability (you can see this on youtube). Not that this is the be an end all though. In regards to it's water proofness I can vouch for it 100%. I was caught out last week and had no problems whatsoever. Another plus is the fleece will be useful on nights in the summer which is detachable. Leading me on to my only gripe: there are poppers inside the cuffs of the suit to keep the fleece attached to the suit if needed. Simply they are a nightmare to undo with the suit on and I found myself having to take the whole jacket off in order to separate the jacket and fleece. (note: there is also a popper on the collar of the jacket to attach the fleece as well - but personally this in't a problem) Not a biggy really and I can't think of a better solution myself so shouldn't really complain. Also another plus is the collar isn't too small to zip up right up to chin which I have found to be a problem with other suits I've tried. But maybe I have a fat neck, in fact, I know I do.

At the end of the day my advice is to go to your local fishing shop and try these suits on. You'll know when you've the suit you like which fits properly and with a bit of research before going you'll know whether it stands up to the test of: quality stitching, water proofeness, fit and warmth. The Trakker 3-in-1 ticks all boxes for me and for £90 (plus free peaked cap) you can't go wrong...

Hope this helps a bit...

Should have also mentioned...I saw an advert a while back in Anglers Mail or Times for a Fox Ventec suit which looked the nuts. I did ring Fox up in anticipation (although slightly above my budget at the time) and aksed when it would be released. They were very vague and only upon recently calling again did they confirm they will not be releasing it at all. I can only put this down to poor production quality (i didn't ask at the time though) on final delivery from manufacturers. Which is a shame because the design appeared spot on and reaked of consideration and practicality from start to finish...I only hope they find a decent manufacturer soon and re-release it...they must have nearly been at the retail release stage otherwise they wouldn't have spent money on advertising it...

v helpful Andreas, thanks. One of the reasons for my question was the 'cut' of the Igloo 6 looks quite different from earlier styles - it appears a bit more 'fitted', so your point about trying these suits on is a good one. I ought to make the time to do that.

Hi lads,better off looking for an older, second hand igloo suit. I have the bib and brace that you could have for the right price mate.Its an xl and only been worn a few times. I highly rate the Sundridge stuff but not too impressed with the mk6. Saying that, im quite sure they brought a longer, specimen version out too. The one you are referring to is the carp version...i think

Not a very useful post, but I think that Go Outdoors were doing this for £70 on their promotion day. I nearly bought a set but couldn't justify the expense. Anyway, it might be worth a chat with the store gaffer as I believe that their intention was to clear stock and with a bit of arm twisting, might sell it for £70. Come up with a good story, why you couldn't make their 50% RRP day.

I'll put my thinking cap on Jim. Good idea. It does look a decent suit.

I assume you won't be very mobile if you are choosing a non-breathable suit. Good for static fishing when you don't have far to lug the gear to the bank.

picked up the korum bib and brace from a local shop last year,cheap as the jacket had been sod from the set and got a jacket to match from eBay, paid less than half price in all but would have paid full price if i'd known how good it was before. sitting for a 5 hour match after spending 2 hours breaking the inch thick ice to make a fishable swim in temps that didn't get above -1 all day and still comfortable. not in to matches personally but was a local meeting of another forum i use so used it as a way to put faces to names. still think match anglers are mad to do that sort of thing but you have to admire their dedication

I assume you won't be very mobile if you are choosing a non-breathable suit. Good for static fishing when you don't have far to lug the gear to the bank.

A fair point made by Anthony actually. Didn't think of it like that as I don't do that much roving unless float fishing on the Itchen or Kennet.

Anthony: can you/anyone else suggest a good breathable suit? I presume you mean goretex or similar...thanks

i have the igloo suiete had have not benn cold since
coupled with the sundridge boots

I have an igloo on order, the new one for 2011 but I have been told they are not available yet, my order has been in since November

If anyone now has an Igloo 6 please could you let me know if its good and where you got it from, mine is on order with Climax Tackle. thanks.

Back