• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

winter pellets

Scalding pellets is a preferred method I have used before and will use again il also be using natural baits when the conditions are right and a high attractive smelly pellet with the colour in the very cold long nights this winter but I'd certainly stick with hemp for the winter aswel. Having said that boilie wrapped in paste will be another good effort for the flooded rivers imo!!
Regards

"Mind you....that does bring up another question. Why is it that all types of baits tend to 'blow' if over used. When they do, most fish, including barbel, become very wary when they come across them."

Do baits "blow" or do we lose confidence in them on a poor day and conveniently use this as a excuse?

Do baits "blow" or do we lose confidence in them on a poor day and conveniently use this as a excuse?

Depends on a lot of things in my opinion Mark. In some of the large heavily stocked rivers where competitive feeding regularly occurs, then no you will not notice it much. At the other end of the scale, in the very small rivers I fish, the stocking levels are pretty low and the fish don't feel pressured into feeding. In those circumstances, it become increasingly difficult to catch barbel on the same bait as the season wears on, particularly if numbers of other anglers are using it as well.

When I was carp fishing, you could watch the alarm aroused in a fish in a pressured water, when they came across an over used bait.

Mind you, I am not down there asking them why this is happening, so who knows :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Is there a particular water temperature below which higher oil content pellets should not really be used and it becomes advisable to move onto the lower oil content pellets?

I'm wondering if there is a temperature at which the oil stops breaking down and leaking out and hence also the temperature at which digestion becomes difficult for the fish.

Cheers,

Steven

Thanks David, good answer but I still struggle to fully appreciate the detail reasoning.
Will move this to a new thread as a bit off topic from original post.
Speak again no doubt:D

thanks for all your replies guys
think i will try small ellip pellet as hookbait with scalded pellet and hemp in the feeder, feeding sparingly at the weekend going saturday fishing through to sunday so will report back on how it goes:D
cheers

Back