• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

winter pellets

Justin Hicks

what would you class as a low oil content pellent suitable for winter fishing,from what i have gathered from reading is that high oil content solidifies and doesn,t release the goods,
cheers:D

Hi Justin,

I'd be very careful using any type of pellet in the winter, high oil content or not.

They do work, no doubt about that but it's a very easy thing to put too much in.

My suggestion would be to use small amounts with a groundbait mix such as the Dynamite pellet powder mixed 50/50 with their pellet groundbait.

That way, there's loads of attraction but not much food. I also lace mine with a bit of hemp and a few casters.

Regards,

Jeff

hi
thanks for the replies
i,ve got some ground elips from hinders that feels really oily, was thinking of using as ground bait in a feeder mixed with hemp and small elips as hookbait,
i,m going for a session next weekend with a 2 rod set up, one with pelet and the other with my much sort after garlic spam:D

hi
thanks for the replies
i,ve got some ground elips from hinders that feels really oily, was thinking of using as ground bait in a feeder mixed with hemp and small elips as hookbait,
i,m going for a session next weekend with a 2 rod set up, one with pelet and the other with my much sort after garlic spam:D

You'l have to hope it's much sought after by the barbel :D

Cheers, Dave.

One on the hair does no harm. Get yourself a big plastic jar, like the ones you buy cooked hemp in. Put your left overs in there. the half tin of corn or meat you didn't use up, or the choritso that went out of date. Anything that a fish will eat. Add liquidised bread, again stuff you would have chucked out for the birds. This carries a scent downstream. The only 2 things I buy are Chira bacon grill from Lidles, and cheap cans of tuna. The chira is chopped small and the tuna is mashed. Keep it in the freezer, keep it topped up. You can put in what comes along, eg chopped worms, dead maggots.
Shaun of the budget.

This may well sound strange to some,but putting a little vodka or any white alcohol into a groundbait/paste mix helps it to leak flavour better in the winter!!

i hope it is as i,m not gonna eat the stack i,ve got in the garage:D

Not a problem if you fish in my area, 'cos the crays eat the lot anyway :D

Mind you....that does bring up another question. Why is it that all types of baits tend to 'blow' if over used. When they do, most fish, including barbel, become very wary when they come across them.

So why don't they EVER blow as far as the crays are concerned :p:D:p

Getting back to the thread :eek: There are numerous low oil carp pellets out there to try if you really want to give it a go....any of them should work, because the flavour leakage should be good, and there is no real difference between the baits marketed for use by carp or barbel anglers. Except the label of course :D

Cheers, Dave

Soak your pellets in sunflour oil. This emulsifie's in cold water. As for cray fish use hemp or any particle that has been left to ferrment for two about weeks, depends on air temp. It will stink, cray fish hate it but fish love it.
What you have to remember is the water temp, is it stable, falling or rising.

Hi Paul,

Why would you soak an already high oil content pellet in more oil?

It wouldn't make it more attractive to the fish, most of it leeching out and floating straight to the surface and would potentially mask the attractive fish oils already contained within the bait.

Regards,

Jeff

Soak your pellets in sunflour oil. This emulsifie's in cold water. As for cray fish use hemp or any particle that has been left to ferrment for two about weeks, depends on air temp. It will stink, cray fish hate it but fish love it.
What you have to remember is the water temp, is it stable, falling or rising.

I would have thought that an an emulsifying oil is a bad thing (?) Cod liver oil is always a good cold water option (they do spend most of their life in the colder reaches of the northern seas of course). However, I'm inclined to agree that the smell of the bait is masked by any dip/glug or general oiling you care to apply! Don't really see the point; make the bait smell/taste and don't worry about the oils etc.

Scalded pellet is a winter winner, the mushier the better.

Small solid pellet on the hook with a pellet paste wrap.

In fact I pretty much always scald my pellet summer or winter, makes the pellets work better and better on the fish.

The pellets i am talking about are for hook baits only! Not for use in the feeder, I try and make my hook baits stink, so that the flavour leaks out over a period of time. When fishing the Thames you can wait for a long time between bites. Most of the time i will use big baits ie x2 21mm, unless it is really cold then i go chub fishing.

Hi Paul,

You need to be mindfull that there are a multitude of different people with various ideas and levels of experience and ability when posting on an "open" forum! You need to be a bit careful with what is said on here because people (some) will take it as gospel!

Best regards,

Jeff

totally agree

Scalded pellet is a winter winner, the mushier the better.

Small solid pellet on the hook with a pellet paste wrap.

In fact I pretty much always scald my pellet summer or winter, makes the pellets work better and better on the fish.

ditto;)

Go to FAQ , Click on the bait section and look at Archive 41 and it tells you all about Emulsifers.
We all know oil floats in water :rolleyes: So by using a Emulsifier with oily pellets , It mixes with the oil and it stops it floating to the surface :)
The other problem with using oily pellets in winter ( Some one will correct me if I am wrong ) In cold water (winter ) Oil takes longer to break down and takes longer to go through a fish's digestive system

Last edited:
All well and good, but wasn't the original question which pellets have a low oil content? You could add Dynamite's XL carp pellets to the Trigga Ice already mentioned Justin and i'm sure there are others. Barbel are cold blooded so any food will take longer to digest in winter, it goes without saying that the more digestable the food source is, the quicker it will pass through their system.

Back