• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter is coming

I think you’d find a good pair of lined bib n braces to be far more comfortable for one, and probably warmer too. I have neoprene chest waders, and while I sweat buckets waking a long way in them, I have to wear thermal layers underneath when in the water (especially winter). My Pro-Logic set (bib and brace plus coat) are warm as toast and really comfy, and they’re breathable so you don’t end up with horrifically betty swollocks 😉

Just tried out a pair of Vass 175 winter bib & brace and was very impressed. Freezing cold (2*) start and was comfortably warm then by the time i packed up it was 13* and sunny but didnt overheat, which was my main concern. If they are as waterproof as they seem i’ll be made up. Very comfortable & lightweight but the sizings are odd. I’m 6’3” with 42” chest and the medium fits perfect even with layers & a fleece under (the leg is stated as a 31” but i’m 33” and they are easily that!

Temu does some excellent thermal tops and trousers for winter. I've just got several sets myself. I wouldn't ever consider wearing a bib n brace, for me they are horrible bulky and restricting. I would always opt to use a layering system to keep warm rather than a suit made from the equivalent of a quilt 😶.

Regarding neoprene waders 👎, a set of breathables every time, even on the coldest of days wading. I found them to be much warmer that neoprenes and so much more comfortable to wear and walk in.

I wouldn't ever consider wearing a bib n brace, for me they are horrible bulky and restricting
They ain’t if you get the right one.

Granted some are heavy and awful but , I put mine on which is the vass 175 and it’s so light and movable you don’t even think about it being on.

It’s just keeping you warm and dry in the background.

They ain’t if you get the right one.

Granted some are heavy and awful but , I put mine on which is the vass 175 and it’s so light and movable you don’t even think about it being on.

I didn't like my Vass 175's. The material is cold to the touch, meaning I always felt cold in them and the Vass bib and brace design is poor when it comes to having a pee. So I beg to differ - they're not 'the right one' for everyone.

I tried the Aqua F12 thermal trousers this week (but not in my size, unfortunately) and they are in a different class - in warmth, comfort, materials and practicality. If I had to choose another bib and brace it would be the Korda Polar Salopettes.

I’m just over 6’ & 88kg and a medium is perfect. Can get fortis FJ9 under it but it isnt too baggy without. I buy large in most things but these are certainly oversized. Can get you measurements from mine if helps

I have a bib and brace set that I bought from BassPro over 10 years ago. It’s intended for hunting but does the job admirably. Soft feel, quiet material but I’ve yet breach the material - always bone dry.

For anything more severe temperature wise I break out the Buffalo ‘Mountain Shirt’ which is like being in a warm Challenger tank.

Second hand IMAX floatation suit,I had the bib and braces on when I fell in the tidal a couple of years ago and managed to clamber out ,and various layering of thinner base layers such as karrimor has kept me warm all winter on the Trent and the Humber .

With winter approaching and the lovely weather than comes with it.

What waterproof jackets and trousers are everyone wearing down the rivers?
Bridgedale Heavyweight Merino socks
Merino underlayers (Ice breaker used for skiing)
Tacvasen Fleece lined softshell pants
and/or
Aldi Salopettes doused in Fabsil Gold
Rab Nexus Hoody (lightweight grid fleece)
and/or
Patagonia Nano Air Hoody midlayer (THE best synthetic midlayer available to mankind . . .EVER - I have several of these; can handle -1C to +15C)
and/or
Rab Valiance Puffa (waterproof down jacket - not for yomping in but packs down well and used for static fishing in minus temps)
and/or
Korda Drykore Jacket & Pants (rain and session length / umbrella dependent)
Grubs Speyline Wellies (with warm liners stuffed in rucksack just incase)
Trakker Polar Fleece Gloves
Haglofs Merino Beanie

and most importantly . . . . Hot Hands footwarmers!

I used to sail and windsurf throughout the year. My favourite sailing adage goes like this: "If your hands are cold, wear a hat."

I used to sail and windsurf throughout the year. My favourite sailing adage goes like this: "If your hands are cold, wear a hat."
Plenty of sense in that adage, as I’ve found that if you suffer from cold hands (as I do) then it ain’t going to make blind bit of difference what gloves you wear. You’ll still have cold hands so you may as well wear a hat.

However, I’m a big fan of the Whitby/peacock hand warmer and I’ve just bought a second one so I can have one each side in my coat pocket. They make a big difference and my gloveless hands are much warmer if I just thaw them out in my pockets every so often.

Back