• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter gear

Wearing something like a thin merino wool base layer will help wick the sweat away from your skin, don't wear cotton as this will absorb sweat and leave you cold and damp, also while on the move undo a zip to to vent
I like 100% cotton stuff for summer work, but of course the trade-off there is easy tearing. And you know EXACTLY where it will tear 9 times out of 10......

It's all about layering IMO, but then again, I often walk quite a distance and tend to sweat no matter how cold it is. I'm another ex-miltary Goretex fan and can recommend these to wear underneath:

I did get a friend to take them in a little and remove the zips on the legs. The salopettes style helps keep your lower back draught free.

Personally, I'd never go for a suit for the reasons given above, but they have their uses.

Back