• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter boots/wellies?

David Maddison

I'm considering getting some boots or wellies for the colder weather. I've seen the ski tex field boots and they look like they'll keep my feet warm also ive heard good reviews on the Arctic muck boots.
Any recommendations for winter footwear??
I currently have muckmaster muckboots and merino wool socks for colder weather.

A good neoprene sock inside trusty Dunlop’s for me. The neoprene wellies are great but the cost and durability are a factor. The combo as described is the best of both words in my opinion.

I'm considering getting some boots or wellies for the colder weather. I've seen the ski tex field boots and they look like they'll keep my feet warm also ive heard good reviews on the Arctic muck boots.
Any recommendations for winter footwear??
I currently have muckmaster muckboots and merino wool socks for colder weather.
That's it. You've got there already as long as the socks are genuine.
A set of merino wool thermals top and bottom and a warm coat, you could go ice fishing and walk there and back. Breathable jacket of course.
The new Arctic sports are fleece lined and could well be too warm for walking any distance.
If it's too cold for muck masters, I doubt there would be any Barbel feeding anywhere.

Last edited:
Layers - a pair of merino wool socks with a high wool content and another pair of thermal socks over the top. Or thin merino wool socks and thin or medium wool socks on top if you can’t fit into your boots

I've got two pairs of Grubs boots, Frostline - OK until temp near freezing, and I've bought some Snowline for winter. Paired with decent socks I'm hoping feet will stay warm. I can't walk in traditional style wellies as the socks always slip down and pee me off, I find the grub boots mega comfy and no issue walking a distance in them :)

I've got two pairs of Grubs boots, Frostline - OK until temp near freezing, and I've bought some Snowline for winter. Paired with decent socks I'm hoping feet will stay warm. I can't walk in traditional style wellies as the socks always slip down and pee me off, I find the grub boots mega comfy and no issue walking a distance in them :)
wear 2 pairs of socks and the slipping down problem goes away

Wellies are just a bloody nightmare imo. Cumbersome clumsy things for walking the bank loaded with gear. I’ve got a pair of winchwood neoprene lined Welly style boots that are ok but you can’t beat a proper boot if you’ve got a trek on your hands.

I have the Grubs Snowline for when I may be getting a good possibility of wet feet. If its fairly dry I firmly recommend Prologic max 5 HP Polar zone boots. Light robust, warm and waterproof. Top tip with any boots, make sure they are big enough to get a good pair of socks on and not tight.

I was gonna pop up go outdoors today and see about getting some muck boots arctic sport but looked online and they are sold out. I use walking boots but they are quite snug so last winter even with good socks on my feet were freezing. I got bad circulation so my fingers and toes get cold even when it’s not that cold so definitely need a decent pair of boots for this winter

I’ve got these and there unbelievably warm highly recommend these

Attachments

• 7A6457FA-BCEF-43E1-A2C1-AF3F1D93438C.png
    7A6457FA-BCEF-43E1-A2C1-AF3F1D93438C.png
    253.3 KB · Views: 510
I wear the same boots all year round, Grisport Ranger boots, I can’t speak highly enough about them. I wear them all the time for work and are very well manufactured, in fact you could say they are as tough as old boots...(I’ll fetch my coat...). In the colder months I just wear the alpaca wool socks that the ex-MIL used to send over from Switzerland. Even with thicker socks on they give my feet enough wiggle room, with is important when the temps really plummet.

Also a good tip I was given is when sitting on your chair, rest your feet on your unhooking mat. It definitely reduces heat loss, try it.

My folks got me some feet warmer insole things from somewhere. When you open the packet they heat up in 5 mins or so then you just slip them in your boots when you put them on. The only downside was that the heated part didn’t go all the way down to my toes which is where I need the heat. The other thing I do is keep my boots in the front footwell right under the heaters on the way to the river so at least when you get there your boots are toasty when you put them on

I have a pair of vass boots Velcro ones , not really warm for winter , I have a pair of Bogs wellies , second pair , first pair I bought in the states , nice and warm .

Back