• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why?

What Angling's about, Shaun, isn't the One True Way or Longer Experience and Superior Knowledge trump any New Boys on the Block, but about learning, sharing and respect (for the fish, for our pastime in its entirety, for one's fellow Anglers), about realising that you are just a small part in a large, highly complex structure. I learned a huge amount from my Angling elders and betters when I was a kid - on the written page and face to face with names and no-names on many a riverbank. I respected those men enormously back then (still do), I wouldn't have dreamt of telling tales about them or running them down them once I had had some decent fish myself (having fallen into the trap of thinking that I knew it all). Too many today, in both Angling and in Life, believe that they can rewrite the past, erase inconvenient truths, delete any unwanted yesterdays. Perilous activities these, as they have a way of destroying many other people's much-hoped-for better tomorrows.

Super thread, valid contributions from learned experts, or do I mean real anglers?

Well done Paul and young Jon.

Regards

Hugo

Fishing_Cat_Pessac_zoo.jpg

I rather like seeing the odd otter or two but I'd rather see one of those.:)
This is what I got to see on my last fishing trip. Damned cheeky sods they are too.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the Surrey puma. Spotted her, ( excuse the pun ), on several occasions in the 60s when fishing the Hook.

Regards

Hugo

I live in hope of seeing a puma's pugmarks beside a British river; I've seen a few in Argentina and Chile, so would know them for what they are if I ever saw them. God help their owners if they were to start tearing into some folks' hand-reared pheasants...

Last edited:
What Angling's about, Shaun, isn't the One True Way or Longer Experience and Superior Knowledge trump any New Boys on the Block, but about learning, sharing and respect (for the fish, for our pastime in its entirety, for one's fellow Anglers), about realising that you are just a small part in a large, highly complex structure. I learned a huge amount from my Angling elders and betters when I was a kid - on the written page and face to face with names and no-names on many a riverbank. I respected those men enormously back then (still do), I wouldn't have dreamt of telling tales about them or running them down them once I had had some decent fish myself (having fallen into the trap of thinking that I knew it all). Too many today, in both Angling and in Life, believe that they can rewrite the past, erase inconvenient truths, delete any unwanted yesterdays. Perilous activities these, as they have a way of destroying many other people's much-hoped-for better tomorrows.

Paul,

I nearly missed this, for some reason, I usually just skim your posts and more often than not just ignore them. For once you have written something that most will be able to comprehend.

Whether they understand is a different matter.

Hopefully,

dave

Paul,

I nearly missed this, for some reason, I usually just skim your posts and more often than not just ignore them. For once you have written something that most will be able to comprehend.

Hopefully,

dave

" But where shall wisdom be found? and where is the place of understanding?"

As ever

Hugo

Paul,

Hopefully,

dave

Stuck on Repeat...

"Can't understand a word he's saying...".

Stuck on Repeat (I've had years of it).

More of SoR in other fields, now, too ("... keep repeating it and the turkeys will believe it...").

Yeah right.

Martin-Rowson-18.06.2011-001.jpg

Back