• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why so quiet?

I think your original post about lack of catch reports recently, and the state of the rivers currently regarding barbel numbers and the pressure on those remaining fish, go hand in hand Graham. Agree that it's not all doom and gloom though as your friend has proved today.

Thought the barbel would be playing on the severn more! because only the odd angler smashing feeders on there heads! Temps was 7.9 at telford Thursday and nice colour!

did"nt have a tap on a deep peg I thought they would be! just shows they don't wont to move much this time of year!

Graham,
It's interesting but some local clubs to me have got their head in the sand and don't seem to even admit there is a problem,RDAA however are at lest trying to do something about it with a restocking program with roach,barbel and chub.Ido realise this might not be the answer,but some action is better than none at all

KRs,Dickie

Rich. There are some cracking chub around still but mainly in the canal sections. Pal had 5 friday all over 4lb.

The roach have returned also in numbers as have the dace. Again look on canal/river sections.

I highlighted the Loddon/Kennet barbel problems and decline over seven years ago and certain people said it was nonsense. Then they weren't fishing the rivers 3-4 times a week.
Still fish coming out but hard in comparison to those special days. Maybe it was just a lucky time.
I averaged around 28 doubles a season..adding customer catches probably nearer 100. We were very lucky to have those days on reflection.

Some of your local anglers in error give a slanted view of the fish around when you realise many of the pics of big SP and Loddon fish are in reality just a few caught many times.

I've spent the last 2 seasons mainly trotting. Perch roach grayling. A bit of piking despite having one of the prime rivers on my doorstep. 45 years targetting barbel is plenty....

Also it could be the same anglers always fishing the same swims, using the same tactics but expecting different results..

I have a season ticket for the Wye and the newsletter reports that fishing has been poor this season so hopefully that's just a one off.

Jonathon.
Youve got from the rowing club to Wilton Bridge.

Couple hours today for 2 nice chub and a barbel anout 10lb

Jonathon.
Youve got from the rowing club to Wilton Bridge.

Couple hours today for 2 nice chub and a barbel anout 10lb
thanks for the reply graham"
Is this free water or you got to get ticket from woodys tackle?
That's good mate you had your rod bent today" whots the best bait this time of year on that stretch? was told a maggot feeder?

Back