• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Why is it....

Chris Jones

....that some anglers care so much about what methods other anglers are using? I can understand being annoyed or upset over illegal activity, rule breaking, antisocial behaviour or things that cause harm to fish. What I don't get is the vehemence displayed over rod choice (too heavy, too light), reel choice (too small, too large, baitrunner), bait choice or quantities used, line strength or lack of, bite alarms etc etc. I really couldn't care less if the bloke a few pegs down uses an antique split cane rod and centrepin or the guy a few pegs up uses 3lb TC carp rods on a pod with bite alarms. As long as they are happy what does it matter? Why do people get upset over such things?:confused:

Good example of this is when a lot of people was getting funny that people were using 30lb braid to catch fish as the breaking strain was too high(in there opinions) also at the same time ignoring the abrasion factor of the line.

.... As long as they are happy what does it matter? Why do people get upset over such things?:confused:

True enough, untill you see some numpty snag fishing with a 3.5oz fixed lead, a 1.25 oz rod and light line in high water where you know a good few double figure fish live. I'd get upset over that. Not enough to get narky about it, but enough to think that that fella is a numpty. Other than that then I don't care either, if he wants to use a pod, two rods with big pits, bite alarms and a baitboat then good luck to him. I'll probably be somewhere else anyhow.

Last edited:
....that some anglers care so much about what methods other anglers are using? I can understand being annoyed or upset over illegal activity, rule breaking, antisocial behaviour or things that cause harm to fish. What I don't get is the vehemence displayed over rod choice (too heavy, too light), reel choice (too small, too large, baitrunner), bait choice or quantities used, line strength or lack of, bite alarms etc etc. I really couldn't care less if the bloke a few pegs down uses an antique split cane rod and centrepin or the guy a few pegs up uses 3lb TC carp rods on a pod with bite alarms. As long as they are happy what does it matter? Why do people get upset over such things?:confused:

:D:D:D:D Take a look at my last post in the 'touch ledgering' thread Chris :D:D:D:D

Cheers, Dave

Bite alarms are noisy and annoying and putting to much bait in can ruining a swim for the next angler. But as you say each to there own. As long as it makes them happy. :)

All the best Tatty

Sorry Chris, didn't read you post properly. Appologies. Aside from that though, who's getting upset? I'm certainly not. If some people want to use the sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut approach then, like you said, it's up to them. Or equally, if some like to stretch as much sport as they can from fish on light, or too light tackle then as long as the fish are not in danger then good luck 'em.

Bite alarms are noisy and annoying

They certainly can be but that would be covered by folk being antisocial. However, I've seen many folk using bite alarms when you'd not even notice unless you were visiting their peg or fishing far too close. Might the latter not be construed as the complainant being damned inconsiderate for plonking himself far too close to another angler, provided it wasn't the bite alarm user turning up second?

putting to much bait in can ruining a swim for the next angler.

Depends on the river, just fishing certain spots with nothing but hookbaits can ruin some swims for days, particularly if you catch.

Sorry Chris, didn't read you post properly. Appologies. Aside from that though, who's getting upset? I'm certainly not.

Haydn, no need to apologise, I deliberately didn't post on any particular thread as I wasn't aiming at anyone in particular. It's just a cumulative result of many different threads and posts I've seen. I'm just saddened that some folks can be quite so antagonistic when other folks approach to fishing doesn't match their own.

Perhaps a little saddening, but then it is possible to apply the same live-and-let-live logic you espouse towards those who judge other people. Let 'em get on with it Chris. We all probably do it to some degree anyhow.

Many years ago I fished at a commercial fishery nr. Milton Keynes. A veritable hole-in-the-ground dump really. There was a lake, a tiny round stock pond that, I kid you not, is no more than 10 mtrs. in diameter. On this lake I witnessed a fella fishing a three rod sky pod, Delkimed and big-pitted to the max., chucking in boilies by the shed-load. Now nothing nasty, or antagonistic even, but did I laugh when I saw this bloke? You bet your pants I did!

Last edited:
Back