• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Who needs a Delkim TXi alarm?

I find that if you leave your bait-runner off, tie some string to your rod butt and the other end to your big toe....you can walk as far as you like (providing you have enough string) and still feel the 'twitch' of your rod being pulled into the river.... :D

:D:D:D:D:D
merry xmas, it's fun time!

The funniest thing being that some folks have taken this nonsense seriously!:eek::D:D:D:D

394120167.jpg

Last edited:
On my local river, and because I only live a 25 minute drive away, I adopt the following method in the colder weather:

Put out 3 rods, loosen baitrunner, a brick on the butt of each rod, then drive home and stay in the warm.

Return at 4pm to see if you have a barbel on. If not, rebait rods, cast out and leave overnight - Go home to your warm bed and return the following morning.

This is not in any way irresponsible, as long as you leave the baitrunner on.....

when im carp fishing,i have my alarms wired up to a couple of speakers i nicked from glastonbury festival a few years back,if i go for a walk,and if i end up in the next village then i can still hear my alarms,even if im too far away,everyone else on the lake can hear my alarm sound,so i just leave them to deal with it,and then sack up the fish,and on my return i can have a few trophy shots with the said fish..forward thinking eh..who needs a posh reciever thingy anyway...blooming tackles tarts..:D

luke

On my local river, and because I only live a 25 minute drive away, I adopt the following method in the colder weather:

Put out 3 rods, loosen baitrunner, a brick on the butt of each rod, then drive home and stay in the warm.

Return at 4pm to see if you have a barbel on. If not, rebait rods, cast out and leave overnight - Go home to your warm bed and return the following morning.

This is not in any way irresponsible, as long as you leave the baitrunner on.....
3, lightweight, how about 12 in different swims and walk up and down 200 yards checking....:eek::D:D:D:D
funny, it's not unseen...:confused:

A certain, lovable rogue, well-known in old NASA circles, piker used to do the same on the Thames. I cracked up laughing on arriving one morning to find him covering both a length of main river and all of a backwater...

when im carp fishing,i have my alarms wired up to a couple of speakers i nicked from glastonbury festival a few years back,if i go for a walk,and if i end up in the next village then i can still hear my alarms,even if im too far away,everyone else on the lake can hear my alarm sound,so i just leave them to deal with it,and then sack up the fish,and on my return i can have a few trophy shots with the said fish..forward thinking eh..who needs a posh reciever thingy anyway...blooming tackles tarts..:D

luke

So I ain't alone with my ideas........... Only I 'borrowed' my speakers from Gatecrasher's (needed more bass).:D:D:D:D

You're all so yesterday! Using the iphone app (and the mini transmitter they send with it to fix to your rod) you can do all of the above and.....follow its precise course as it's pulled downstream on GPS! No worries!:)

TXi

I find that if you leave your bait-runner off, tie some string to your rod butt and the other end to your big toe....you can walk as far as you like (providing you have enough string) and still feel the 'twitch' of your rod being pulled into the river.... :D

This is a smart idea, one drawback is that your toe might not be attached to your foot after a few hours in this weather. However, in cold weather a variant of this might be to tie the string to another part of your body whilst waiting for the jerk.

This is a smart idea, one drawback is that your toe might not be attached to your foot after a few hours in this weather. However, in cold weather a variant of this might be to tie the string to another part of your body whilst waiting for the jerk.

Tie it to someone else's extremities and wait for the yelp.

TXi

You're all so yesterday! Using the iphone app (and the mini transmitter they send with it to fix to your rod) you can do all of the above and.....follow its precise course as it's pulled downstream on GPS! No worries!:)

Something similar went through my mind but couldn't think of the technology behind it. Well done, Anthony, seems you've cracked it. Since we are heading for a technological fix, I have another idea that I can't quite crystallise in my mind. Can you think of a way that a mobile phone could be used to transmit a signal from an alarm to a monitoring station - for example, this could be the barbel police. The monitoring station would work in a similar way as to how some burglar alarm systems work. The monitoring station once alerted by the alarm, would relay this to the angler wherever the angler might be. Baitrunners would not be advised as the fish could take yards of line from the reel which could be detrimental to wildlife. It would be far more responsible not to use a baitrunner and instead use a bungee attached to the butt of the rod for the fish to fight against. If, by chance, the rod were to be pulled in then rod and fish can be tracked by GPS as per Anthony's idea above.

This system already exists for a monthly fee. ADT Alarms will monitor your system for you and contact the police if they believe your property is on the move, so to speak. Problem solved.:)

Back