• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Who needs a Delkim TXi alarm?

Jim Foxall

Here is a possible cheap solution for those of you, like me, who own the lower spec Delkims but need the remote facility. Aldi are selling the Binatone two way radios for about £29. If you place one of these radios next to the alarm, with the transmit button taped on, you can wander up the bank listening for the alarm, with the other radio. This will work just as effectively as having one of those expensive Delkim receivers. That's not the end of this fix, the range of these two way radios can extend up to 5km or so, so you can have a really good walk along the bank looking for other swims and baiting up while keeping tabs on your kit. Another advantage is that should you be out of sight of your kit and someone approach your equipment then you will probably hear them over the radio. Clearly, you won't be able to communicate with them as the "alarm radio" will be on transmit. The flexibility of this set up is endless. Homebase are doing sets of 4 and 6 and if you and your friends invested in a larger set, your group would be able to get together, for a chat while keeping an ear open for any alarms that might go off.

For £30 or less you have upgraded your standard alarms to TXi capability. One other final advantage of this set-up is that you don't need to bother about compatibility. You don't need a Fox receiver for Fox alarms or a Delkim receiver for Delkim alarms etc.. Your two way radio will act as a universal receiver for any alarm system out there. You probably don't even need to buy these solely for fishing purposes. You could buy a set of four of these radios for your kid 's Xmas presents. The chances are that they will only use two of them leaving two for your fishing bag. Let me know how you get on, "over and out".

Here is a possible cheap solution for those of you, like me, who own the lower spec Delkims but need the remote facility. Aldi are selling the Binatone two way radios for about £29. If you place one of these radios next to the alarm, with the transmit button taped on, you can wander up the bank listening for the alarm, with the other radio. This will work just as effectively as having one of those expensive Delkim receivers. That's not the end of this fix, the range of these two way radios can extend up to 5km or so, so you can have a really good walk along the bank looking for other swims and baiting up while keeping tabs on your kit. Another advantage is that should you be out of sight of your kit and someone approach your equipment then you will probably hear them over the radio. Clearly, you won't be able to communicate with them as the "alarm radio" will be on transmit. The flexibility of this set up is endless. Homebase are doing sets of 4 and 6 and if you and your friends invested in a larger set, your group would be able to get together, for a chat while keeping an ear open for any alarms that might go off.

For £30 or less you have upgraded your standard alarms to TXi capability. One other final advantage of this set-up is that you don't need to bother about compatibility. You don't need a Fox receiver for Fox alarms or a Delkim receiver for Delkim alarms etc.. Your two way radio will act as a universal receiver for any alarm system out there. You probably don't even need to buy these solely for fishing purposes. You could buy a set of four of these radios for your kid 's Xmas presents. The chances are that they will only use two of them leaving two for your fishing bag. Let me know how you get on, "over and out".

LMBO.... over and out from me too.............:eek:

What a nightmare Jim, just been down to 2 Aldi's and the Radio's are sold out everywhere....

Gutted......

TXi

What a nightmare Jim, just been down to 2 Aldi's and the Radio's are sold out everywhere....

Gutted......

Homebase do sets of four. I think that the problem is that everyone is on to them and I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturers of bite alarms are not encouraging the likes of Aldi to remove these radios from sale. Don't settle for the short range ones - a few hundred metres or so, the longer range versions work over distances of up to 8km, providing a great deal more flexibility.

Homebase do sets of four. I think that the problem is that everyone is on to them and I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturers of bite alarms are not encouraging the likes of Aldi to remove these radios from sale. Don't settle for the short range ones - a few hundred metres or so, the longer range versions work over distances of up to 8km, providing a great deal more flexibility.
Do you think Aldi would let me trade in my Txi's for a set of 4 radios? This time next week Delkim might be in liquidation through you letting the cat out of the bag.....

I hope you dont feel bad about it Jim, but thats progress IMO...

TXi Alarms

Do you think Aldi would let me trade in my Txi's for a set of 4 radios? This time next week Delkim might be in liquidation through you letting the cat out of the bag.....

I hope you dont feel bad about it Jim, but thats progress IMO...

I'm sure that Delkim will continue to sell their lower spec alarms, but I suspect that the sale of TXis and receivers will plummet. I doubt Aldi would take your TXis on the basis that they will have little value. Probably the best bet would be to donate them to a charity shop or put them on EBay where there might still be a market for the less well informed audience.

Jim,

I use ATTS alarms and the heads are silent so no use to me i'm afraid, I might buy a set though for when i'm piking with audible alarms, brilliant idea, thanks for sharing it

you can wander up the bank listening for the alarm, with the other radio. This will work just as effectively as having one of those expensive Delkim receivers.[/QUOTE]
:eek:
without informing the barbel police, not a great idea,
hope you get fined.

without informing the barbel police, not a great idea,
hope you get fined.

When the barbel police turn up on foot with their breast shaped helmet, complete with blue light, you may find their own two way radios interfere. Not good.

Jim,
for those without the foresight to buy TXis in the first place:eek:, there's always these things.http://www.ericsangling.co.uk/prods/3164.html

For the benefit of those with breast shaped helmets, I walk no further away from rods when using these. It's more to do with having very quiet or even silent alarms. You should be happy, I'm complying viz your orderz.;):p

the longer range versions work over distances of up to 8km, providing a great deal more flexibility

Sold:D

Now I`ll be able to leave my rods out at Pershore safe in the knowledge that while I`m having a look at swims on the Lower Severn I`ll be made instantly aware when a take happens:D:D:D

Cheers dude, I`m getting some tomorrow:p:p:p:p:p

TXi Alarms

When the barbel police turn up on foot with their breast shaped helmet, complete with blue light, you may find their own two way radios interfere. Not good.

Jim,
for those without the foresight to buy TXis in the first place:eek:, there's always these things.http://www.ericsangling.co.uk/prods/3164.html

For the benefit of those with breast shaped helmets, I walk no further away from rods when using these. It's more to do with having very quiet or even silent alarms. You should be happy, I'm complying viz your orderz.;):p

I must concede you make a very good point with the set up as shown in www.ericsangling.co.uk/prods. However, there may be some issues. Firstly, the range of the receiver is limited to 500m or so which is restrictive and secondly, will the receiver shown in Erics' site cope with a mixture of alarms, a Delkim on one rod and a Fox on the other. The only drawback with using a two way radio as a transmitter is if the alarm is on silent, but surely it defeats the object if the alarm is silent.

Firstly, the range of the receiver is limited to 500m or so which is restrictive
I can't deny that and I'd have to add that the distance claims of just about every remote bite alarm is a complete and utter load of tosh in real life.

secondly, will the receiver shown in Erics' site cope with a mixture of alarms, a Delkim on one rod and a Fox on the other.
A positive here, Jim. The Fox gizmo would indeed handle different brands of alarm, provided they had the required power out jack socket. I'm sure that your Fox/Delkim mix wouldn't present a problem, other than to the tartiest of tackle tarts.;):D

The only drawback with using a two way radio as a transmitter is if the alarm is on silent, but surely it defeats the object if the alarm is silent.

Yep, a silent alarm head would be a bit of a drawback with your system.

Used em for years, work best if you connect them to a transformer then power that with a generator, long sessions job done!

Jim I hate to pee on your parade but you should not be more than a few metres away from your rods at any one time,in fact you could be prosecuted for this I am sure,not withstanding the fact that alarms or not a Barbel doesnt take prisoners when it sucks in a bait and turns-would you want to run back to your rods when a Barbel is steaming off into the nearest snag.
Using Alarms with a receiver/walkie talkie is one thing,walking away with your lines in the water is downright irresponsible.
I for one am not a Barbel policeman,I use a receiver as well but mainly because when I'm on the bank there is nothing worse that hearing someones false bleeps and knocks,so I make sure no-one thinks the same of me.

Good Idea if your on a budget AND you stay with your rods.

Good idea if you wind in and go for a walk.

Matt

Back