• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whiplash Braid.

John Cook

Hi All,

Have been given a spool of 30lb.bs whiplash braid is anyone using this for their barbel fishing? Its a nice colour very fine and feels ok, i have been a power pro user for many years but wondering if i should give this braid a try on one rod?

Be lucky out there...:)

............... i have been a power pro user for many years but wondering if i should give this braid a try on one rod?

Stick with what you know John, it won't put any more fish on the bank will it? :p

Hiya Paul,

No thats correct Paul just thought that as i had the spool and it cost me nought i would give it a try out, but will probably pass it on to a friend of mine...

Bin it , I tried it for the first time at start of the season . Never having used braid before . I allways had my doubts about abrasion resistance and was proved right when I lost a good fish when the braid broke for no apparent reason some where above the lead . So I binned it and went back to mono :)

I have been using Whiplash Braid for over 12 years never had a problem.
Most of Berkley stuff is very reliable.
If you are using braid for the first time, make sure that your rod is a good quality soft action from 1.2 to 1.75 lb bs.
Most of all you must persevere with it, it does take a lot of getting used to, a 15lb bottom of braid, is a must.
Good luck.
Brian.

Used it for years but have found the abrasion quality a bit dodgy especially when used in 20lb. Can be fished straight through with no need for any swivels..Needs to be checked regularly for any signs of abrasion damage..
Overall not bad stuff...

I've used various braids over the years and choose it by diameter rather than breaking strain, using say 30lb braid instead of 8lb Nylon seems a bit odd at first but the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages. I'm not fishing rocky or snaggy waters as a rule, if I was, a length of heavy nylon/fluro would be used at the business end.
I can't remember the last time I lost more than a hooklength to a snag.

Back