• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

which rod

Mark Howley

Senior Member & Supporter
looking to buy a new rod,either korum neoteric 12ft twin tip,or greys prodigy 12ft vx.Would be interested in other peoples opinion on these please.

I had the Korum (until it snapped on a splasher). It was a good rod but I'd say the rod i replaced it with, a daiwa barbel theory, beats it hands down.

Welcome Mark have a quick look in the reviews and FAQ's sections on the top banner. Lots of discussion to help you make your mind up.
Regards Clive.

I have a Korum Neoteric to review, just not had the conditions to get it out and test it properly yet.

Hopefully. before too long, I'll have some good conditions and be able to put a bend in it...
Looks a nice rod tho, so looking forward to giving it some stick.

Steve

New or old version Stevo.......?

New one, I assume Clive, I only picked it up off Korum just before Xmas.....

Along with a few other bits and pieces that I'm in the process of reviewing for Korum.

They did say that they have 'loads' of new stuff coming out early this year, and they will get anything 'Barbel related' sent over to me.....

I can then get them reviewed for BFW.

Steve

Excellent job.

Hi Mark,

I would go for the the Greys, mine is the older version of the Korum twin tip, even in its
1 3/4lb guise, I find it stiff as a poker. As I read in Graham Marsdens book on Barbel, if you pay the same price for a twin tip as you do for a single tip rod, chances are the quality of the carbon in the twin tip is not going to be as good if you match the price of the two rods.
Guess it depends if you want a rod for flood water as with the twin tip. Maybe the new Korum twin tips are less pokey! :)

And this is where it gets confusing I find the Greys rods awful a spongy tipped rod with no real power but I loved the Korum Neoteric and would highly recommend them although powerful I would never go as far ad broomstick. You will find Mark that opinion is always divided on these things one man's treasure is another man's junk.

I loved my Neoteric twin tips, wishing now i'd kept them when i bought my torrix's as the 2.2tip would be great for 15ft of water on the Severn tomorrow.

I own both Greys Barbel rods (X-Flites and original Prodigys) and the Korum Twin Tips (old version). For a given rating the Greys do have a softer action, imo. Much depends on your preference, the style of fishing you intend and on what rivers. Big leads on big/flooded rivers, I go for the Korum. Summer or smaller rivers then I go for the Greys.

I bought a Greys Prodigy twin tip (1.5 and 2lb tips) for the missus and she wouldn't have it in the house! prefers to use an old Shimano carp rod with a busted handle that was hanging ariund. TBH, she was right, I thought the Greys was far too stiff but as we all have said before on numerous occasions................ it's all relative!

I'd get a Hardy Marksman but they are a bit costly although they have just brought out a cheaper version which i'm yet to see. Has anyone tried one yet?

Regards,

Jeff

I've the old version of the neoterics and although i have acquired a few torrix's since i bought them, i can't get rid of them, although, confusingly, i prefer the avon top of the quiver to the twin tip!

I have korum neoteric twin tips and diawa infinitys and there both fantastic barbel rods i use my twin tips for floods these daus there great rods.

Back