• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which multi purpose rod

Richard, I will agree about the Minima single leg frames as they are far too soft. The single leg guides on my new Daiwa Powermesh Barbel rod are MUCH stiffer, as are the single leg guides I fitted to my Sportex carp rod converted to barbel floodwater use.
Yeah Fuji K series single legs are like that. Exceptionally strong guides that youlll struggle to bend in normal use.

How big a bait would you be using for Pike? I have a set of 11 foot, 2.5lb harrison baby ballista that i had made. Have used them in the past happily for barbel on a flooded river, when fishing for carp up to 48lb in my local water). I’m sure they could handle reasonable sized deadbaits up to 4-5oz. Lovely rods to play fish on too.

How big a bait would you be using for Pike? I have a set of 11 foot, 2.5lb harrison baby ballista that i had made. Have used them in the past happily for barbel on a flooded river, when fishing for carp up to 48lb in my local water). I’m sure they could handle reasonable sized deadbaits up to 4-5oz. Lovely rods to play fish on too.
Depends very much on how far you want to put it out
Your rods will have the power to put out a 6oz. Bait with a further 3 oz of lead I’m sure but you’ll be limited to quite close in work.
my p2 pike rods are 11 foot 2.5 exactly the same as yours and they get regular overload abuse but most of the time it’s an underarm flick across a small river or drain.

Hi ,I have some FREE SPIRIT HI S BIG WATER ,They are perfect ,for Barbel,chub,Carp,tench ,Bream and Pike 👍

I must say I'm very tempted with P1's, but P2's also a consideration. I think I'm still leaning towards pike rods as the ultimate flexible, least compromising option.

P2 is definitely softer which could be a better option for the barbel as you’ll be less likely to bump em off with the smaller single hooks.

I have Harrison Ballistas in 12 foot , but smaller rods I had 10 ft pike flex which were to me too soft in the tip for baits .I picked up a pair of Harrison 10 foot 6 .John Watson 3lb tc , lovely rods with old school ringing,only use them for canals, small waters and close in float fishing .Got them for a steal of a consultant at pike pro .First 250 were all numbered and have low numbers and the certificates , keep meaning to contact Harrison to ask about how many were actually made .

I remember those Peter. That’s the ones with the really bold graphics on green Harrison blanks. John Watson did a 12 foot version as well. As far as I know they only made as many as there was with the certificates (250 of each) .

Back