• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which mono?

Hi men,

As soon as GR60 was released i got on it , in fact i was supplying Leslies of Luton all their stainless systems and got a spool early doors . Apart from a flirt with X-line for clear water barbel stalking , its been on my reels ever since . Thats an aweful long time , but nothing has come out that will make me change . I did try the low stretch Korda touchdown line for a deep water i was carping , but it did not take long to re spool , if it aint broke and all that ;)

Hatter

Hi men,

As soon as GR60 was released i got on it , in fact i was supplying Leslies of Luton all their stainless systems and got a spool early doors . Apart from a flirt with X-line for clear water barbel stalking , its been on my reels ever since . Thats an aweful long time , but nothing has come out that will make me change . I did try the low stretch Korda touchdown line for a deep water i was carping , but it did not take long to re spool , if it aint broke and all that ;)

Hatter
Thought you were a Gamma Edge man Hatter.

Hi men,

Yes Terry , i had a go with X-line / Gamma for a while , Fluro def has some advantages and im sure we caught fish stalking because of it , but i did return to GR60 . Funny though , sorting out my gear for a trip to France i came across a little bag of tackle , including a spool of Gamma !.

Hatter

I use hyper sensor for my feeder fishing so it gets a good work out. I’ve been impressed with it, it’s been better than the sensor for me. I tried Drennan feeder and really didn’t like it at all

Another vote for the Hyper Sensor, been using it for the last 2 seasons, seems much smoother and limper than the old sensor, but just as tough.

I had thought of changing to hyper but I still have a vast stock of sensor in varying sizes to cover all my non float fishing... good to hear positive reviews might buy a spool to try on shock leaders first to give it a good work out with distance casting

Daiwa Sensor has all the attributes for Barbel fishing on the lead you will ever need. I’ve even used it on my pins, but this year have changed to Drennan Supplex for a try out. The point about Sensor it’s so cheap to buy you can change it several times a season if needed.

I have some Sufix Synergy on my fixed-spools, though they rarely get an outing nowadays. When they did, the line seemed very robust as well as supple. Not sure who still sells it, however. GR60 is tough but I found it a little springy.

You got some good advice there James. Just add with the price of Daiwa sensor, you can change the line every few weeks if your river is shaggy at all. While I only trott or lay on these days, I still change my Drennan supplex, as I believe nylon does wear, snags, sunlight, fish (we hope) dirt, streetching. But I only ever put 100 yards on mine, so it’s still cheap to change. Twice a season, after Christmas normally.
Rich.

Always stick with Big Game, just bought top up supplies of 10 and 12lb while I was in Florida. 12lb still available in clear but could only find 10lb in a new colour - coastal brown, will have to see if there's any change in the properties, might be a while as I've only just respooled my reels with the last of my old stock.

Back