• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which mono?

Hello everyone,
I am new to the BFW forum and would like some advise on what line/ monofilament would be best to fill my two new reels with, e.g what brand, at the moment I use 10lb Fox soft steel but they have stopped making this breaking strain. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you and kind regards.

Welcome James. I can't help since I have used braid for around 15 years, but I'm sure you'll get some varied advice :)

Welcome aboard James. I’ll give you two ! Either Berkeley Big Game or Gardner HydroTuff in Green 10lb. Both rock solid and have high abrasion resistance. If you plumb for the Big Game make sure it’s the stuff made in the USA and not Japan. Check the label for the made in USA and if your local supplier only has the Japanese version I was assured by Fishing Tackle Online that they only sourced the American made.
http://www.fishingtackle-online.co.uk/berkley-game-mono-10ib-green-p-428.html

Last edited:
Welcome James.

Another shout for the abovementioned Big Game and Gardner lines. Bill is spot on about the Big Game - the Japanese version may as well have a completely different brand and name, cos it's completely different line.

I'll also add in Korum Reel Line and Barbel Line. The latter is two-tone and, I think, intended to be used as a hooklength (it only comes in 100m spools), but I've used it as main line and it's fine, assuming you're not needing to cast a million miles on the Wye or Thames of course.

Welcome James. I can't help since I have used braid for around 15 years, but I'm sure you'll get some varied advice :)
Thank you for replying Paul, I've heard that braid is great for bite detection and has many positives, I've contemplated in the past but always land back at mono. once again thank you Paul.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I’m finding it difficult to reply to you all individually as it’s a new forum and it’s confusing me. The Berkeley big game seems to be a popular choice and I will be looking into that. I’ve also been looking at the Gardner Hydro tuff which I thought sounded good too. I have tried GLT Pro Gold in the past and never had a problem with it but I don’t think they do the breaking strain I require. Once again thank you to everyone for a warm welcome and your reply
Kind regards
James.

Thank you John,
The good old faithful Daiwa sensor, but I’ve not come across the hyper sensor before, but I will check it out thank you.

Hi james
I tend to use Berkeley big game when snag fishing in 12-15lb and daiwa sensor > 10lb
Used BG for many years and never ever let me down
Got recommended sensor and same again
Great reliable line at sensible money so no excuses for not replacing regularly

Anyone had a good use of Diawa Hyper Sensor yet? I've never actually used any Diawa line, but the Hyper Sensor looks very good for diameter/breaking strain, and very inexpensive at ~85p per 100m! But it is pre-stretched, is it limp? Is it abrasion resistant?
I tend to use Krystonite still (have done for ~15yrs), unless I need maximum abrasion resistance and then it's Ghostline. And for sinking mono I use Drennan Feeder. Gonna give jig silk a go for my early season trotting though.

Back