• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which Courier for rods

Mike Window

Senior Member & Supporter
Can anyone, especially those who have sold on this forum, recommend any couriers that will take take rods in tubes as most seem to have a length restriction or charge exorbitant fees.
Thanks
Mike

Can anyone, especially those who have sold on this forum, recommend any couriers that will take take rods in tubes as most seem to have a length restriction or charge exorbitant fees.
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

Today I couriered a 5"2 inch rod tube , 2-1/2 inch dia and 1 KG weight , insured up to £1000.00to Devon for £17.24p,

Using UPS, Collected tomorrow 12-1pm, delivery on Wed afternoon.

Hope this helps.

David

No idea what happened there , please excuse the 3p difference in postage , and 1 inch in tube length .

Damn this editing and lack of facility to delete the first post .

David

if you have a local tackle shop you use regularly when they open they may allow you to use their courier for a small fee if you ask nicely

UPS are good but not the cheapest , go through one of the brokers like Interparcel or Parcel to Go to get the best price . Also a word of warning , read the small print very carefully as many couriers insurance excludes fishing rods in terms of damage in transit . I have shipped hundreds of rods over the years and overall I have found UPS the best

In this case I’d certainly say the price is last priority.
it doesn’t matter what you rap them in, you still need that service to provide an extra level of care for this fragile parcel and that’s definitely worth paying a premium for.
Forget budget couriers! if you haven’t paid £15 then you probably haven’t paid enough.
UPS, DPD or TNT all have good services that ship parcels with length.
that UPS offer that David posted up earlier sounds spot on to me. 17 quid with excellent cover. 👍🏻

UPS today used to do a service for rods over 1.5 metres for 7 or 8 quid but that just stopped one day and they put their prices right up. They've still been the cheapest when I've posted recently, and Ive never had a problem with them. Last time I used them they wouldn't insure for loss as well as the usual damages, though

Wouldn’t trust any of them I’ve used parcel force in the past but costs £27. Best I’ve used is parcel monkey just make sure whoever you use pack in a rigid tube ... bit of downpipe from screwfix About £4

dpd collected a two metre long “carpet core” tube parcel from me last week. I can’t advise what it cost i’m afraid as collection was arranged by the buyer.

Just had my new p-2 delivered and that was sent TNT
If it’s good enough for Dave to send out hundreds of rods annually then I’d say they were a relatively safe bet.

Another thumbs up for TNT 👍. IV always used them for posting rods and used them quite abit over the last couple of years with no issues to report.

Messaged from the recipient of the rod I couriered with UPS yesterday, it arrived safe and sound today, undamaged , and it will be used tomorrow after that fish that begins with C and ends with P.

So as far as experiences go, so far so good for me.

David

Well ... I booked in a rod with UPS to pick up today , no show and no explanation on enquiry , what a waste of a day , just shows even the big companies mess up sometimes , ho hum ....

In this case I’d certainly say the price is last priority.
it doesn’t matter what you rap them in, you still need that service to provide an extra level of care for this fragile parcel and that’s definitely worth paying a premium for.
Forget budget couriers! if you haven’t paid £15 then you probably haven’t paid enough.
UPS, DPD or TNT all have good services that ship parcels with length.
that UPS offer that David posted up earlier sounds spot on to me. 17 quid with excellent cover. 👍🏻
Dave used TNT for the last pair I ordered from him . They ended up in Glasgow! Then instead of delivering to my home which I'd paid extra for they dropped them off at a local shop. Presumably an agent? I wasn't impressed to say the least.

Back