• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which centrepin to choose?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the excellent TFG classic. All the good points of the Okumas and none of the negative ie. no annoying ratchet control. It's a lot lighter too at 202 grams, the Sheffield is 280 grams. They were only £60 but sadly no longer made.
There's a new one on Ebay for £130 at the moment.
It would be a great starter reel. I'm sure there must be a few members who'd sell one. Or ask in the classifieds.
The free flow is even better if you could find one.
They would be an even better reel if the ratchet spring wasn't prone to disintegrating.

Thanks for the input so far chaps.

I know the sensible route is to start cheap but I do fancy the Okuma Martin Bowler!!!!
I have the Aventa Pro and the Bowler which is probably worth around 5 times the Pro. There is very much a difference between the two reels and my Bowler is used for a very specific style of trotting, to which I doubt there is anything better, past or present.
I think you need something a bit heavier to go with a 15ft rod as it won’t feel balanced.

I have the Aventa Pro and the Bowler which is probably worth around 5 times the Pro. There is very much a difference between the two reels and my Bowler is used for a very specific style of trotting, to which I doubt there is anything better, past or present.
I think you need something a bit heavier to go with a 15ft rod as it won’t feel balanced.
Do you think a standard Sheffield would have enough weight to balance my 15ft power float?

Back