• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Where to get a sack of help from ???

Rob Smith

Hiya Guys,

I am trying to find a supplier for a sack (20kg ish) of hemp. My old supplier has closed down and I am trying to find a new one. There are some suppliers that are selling some really old stuff that doesn't open when boiled so I would welcome a recommendation of a supplier with some good quality hemp.

Thanks Guys.

IF you order enough to make the delivery cost worthwhile, I've used both cc Moore and gjw titmuss hemp and both good quality. Cc Moore isn't cheap but the quality is excellent and they have a high turnover

"Where to get a sack of help from ??? "

If you do find a supplier be sure to share, there are plenty of us who could use a sack of heLp.

Personally I look to use a batch up before it has been sat in my shed for longer than a year. I feel more confident knowing that the oil in the seed is fresh as reasonably possible.

IMO hemp splitting isn't important unless you are using it on the hook for roach. As long as it is denatured enough to prevent germination, why boil the goodness to smithereens?

Another vote for hinders

Blimey

I wish I could make a sack last all season!

Jollies Hemp seems OK.

As long as it is denatured enough to prevent germination, why boil the goodness to smithereens?

Some like to fish germinated baits or even fermented baits. Good point tho a couple of considerations:

1. Most complexed proteins denature (ie loose their quaternary & tertiary structure) once above 60C essentially binding up / damaging certain/proportion amino acids. Small baits will not take much heat to achieve this. Flash boiling of small baits might be a different matter.

2. Boiling of hemp - I thought that this was more to release the oil from its structure & its associative flavour leaching quality.

All schools of thought on this could be used for different uses/approaches.

Cheers, Jon

Has anyone from the midlands tried this place as he seems to have everything

Sandy Acre feeds

Address: Great Saredon, Wolverhampton, West Midlands WV10 7LN
Postcode: WV10 7LN
City/Town: Great Saredon, Wolverhampton (West Midlands)
Main phone: 01922 415390

Sean

Jon,

I agree. It's all down to the individual and their approach, quite right.

I feel that an overnight soak in a sealed bucket of boiling water, releases enough oil to gain the attraction benefits, while at the same time not boiling for so long that most of the oil/attraction is lost to the cooking water itself...

But, all said, it's just hemp - fish love it and that's good enough for me :)

Atb

Has anyone from the midlands tried this place as he seems to have everything

Sandy Acre feeds

Address: Great Saredon, Wolverhampton, West Midlands WV10 7LN
Postcode: WV10 7LN
City/Town: Great Saredon, Wolverhampton (West Midlands)
Main phone: 01922 415390

Sean

Yes, the sack I had last year seemed ok.

They have been around for years, because we use to fetch chicken feed 20+ years ago from there.
I called in last year and I think the angling baits are a reasonably new venture.....

Steve

Evidently Fred Croucjh uses it in its raw uncooked form - any thoughts?

Would certainly make preparation easier!

Regards

Paul - aka The Lurker

If it's good it will start to split after a 24 hr soak in cold water, the last sack I had would sprout after a couple of days then after another couple of days it started to ferment.
Those who are saying it is all irradiated to stop it germinating must be wrong or the sack I had had slipped through.

Evidently Fred Croucjh uses it in its raw uncooked form - any thoughts?

Would certainly make preparation easier!

Regards

Paul - aka The Lurker

Is he the Polish equivalent of our Fred Crouch :p

Seriously though Paul, if Fred uses it and rates it in that state, how bad can it be? I would have had serious doubts myself, because as stated in previous post's, we have always been told that it needs boiling to free the oils to make it effective etc., etc., etc.

However, I do believe Fred has been known to catch the odd barbel or three over the years :D....so if he rates it, who are we to doubt him? If that is a fact, it certainly gives me pause for thought...........

Mind you, bit late for me to change the habits of a lifetime now, I am way too old in the tooth (not to mention all the other bits that are dropping off/falling out at an alarming rate recently :D:D)

Cheers, Dave.

Back