• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

what3words

Great App, fully endorse this, we've been running this in the fire service for the last 18 months and the control staff have used to great effect locating peoples in distress
Apparently its now an indisputable fact that this app has already been responsible for saving many lives

my fishing club I am in has now included it for all the entrances for our club venues as obviously many of them dont have a postcode !
you can even use it to remember a particular swim in a barren stretch of river bank for example I love it

I have been looking at this app. I have to say that EVERY time I launch it (at home) I get a different set of words. Also, the "pointer" doesn't stop moving (it jerks around) and the words change.

Not sure what to make of it.

I have been looking at this app. I have to say that EVERY time I launch it (at home) I get a different set of words. Also, the "pointer" doesn't stop moving (it jerks around) and the words change.

Not sure what to make of it.
if your standing in a slightly different spot you will do ?

why not stand where you park your car generate your position then next time your out use it to being you home you will find it will be bang on !!
and thats all you need (its a 10ft square )
my other hobby is meta detecting and the club I go with has digs all over the place obviously most places its a field with no postcodes near !

it will be a gateway in the middle of a hedge row somewhere so we use this and its always bang on

Last edited:
I was sitting at my desk, and that position doesn't change. Perhaps it doesn't work as well indoors? I will test when outside :)
well yes that explains it its the GPS mate indoors its not seeing the same satellite`s !!!!!!!!!

A GPS receiver in your phone listens for these signals. Once the receiver calculates its distance from four or more GPS satellites, it can figure out where you are

I don’t really think it matters if the pointer fluctuates between a few squares.
You could give someone your 3 word position a good 10 squares away from your actual location if you want that’s plenty close enough to be found.
If I go back to that exact square I was fishing in I get the exact same 3 words.

Back