• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

what3words

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi folks this post is for all the people that own a smart phone and dont know about an App that could quite literally save your life

(I URGE YOU ALL TO DOWNLOAD THIS APP ON YOUR PHONE NOW)

we as anglers are some times down a track somewhere round a lake or down the river bank now picture the situation you fall and break a leg or something where you need urgent help immediately how could anyone find you easily ?

well this is where the App what3words comes in you simply press the locate button on your phone app it generates 3 word you can either tell the 999 operator or text them and they will know instantly your exact LOCATION What3words essentially points to a very specific location
Its developers divided the world into 57 trillion squares, each measuring 3m by 3m (10ft by 10ft) and each having a unique, randomly assigned three-word address.

THIS LINK CAN TELL YOU MORE

Then there is always find my friends, at least on Apple, not sure about the other systems.

Of course that is if your friends actually want to find you 😋😋

David

Cheers Gerry, downloaded and installed, you just never know, got a planned sea fishing trip next week, ( Perch Rock, New Brighton ) walking out into the middle of the River Mersey at low tide, hopefully, its not needed. :) 👍

P.S. I think Jasons comment was a bit tongue in cheek.

Hi Derek, I will be fishing at either Guinea Gap or Town Hall Steps on this coming Friday Morning from about 8.00 am to about noon. Would prefer a sandy location, but will be with creakers who cant walk far and like the certainty of being able to catch tiddlers .

My first trip across to Liverpool for about a year . Pity the river doesnt seem to be doing very much on that side , tide is a bit big for Otterspool.

Good luck at Perch 👍

David

I’m not 100% sure, but I think what3words is a lot more accurate in terms of precise location than a location share through iMessage or WhatsApp. I wouldn’t trust apple maps, especially. If I had a fall on the Avon or Stour and used it, they’d probably be looking for me on the Usk...

The app isn’t intrusive in any way, and can also be useful for marking locations of car parks and those hidden turnings when exploring new venues. These can then be plumbed into your phone sat nav (I use Waze).

Don't forget your passports chaps, we're careful who we let in these days! I'll be afloat on the river, I'll give you a wave!

Hi Gavin, do you fish the river, or are you a passenger, or working ?

If fishing, which charter do you use, or is it a private vessel ?

So many questions, so little time 😋

David

Absolutely brilliant Gerry.
Last time I fished I sat in zinc, transmit, smug.
And caught absolutely zip, zilch, zero 😂
635441DF-4C1E-40B9-BC64-63E5511DB806.jpeg

Back