• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What waders

Danny Payne

I have got the bug to try wading while trotting but not sure what to buy I don't want to spend hundreds but don't mind spending a bit of money to get something that will last, iv looked at the diawa neoprene chest waders but wondering if there's any that are better for the money?

Neoprenes are fine in winter, but this time of year you will SWEAT ! I bought some Snobee Neoprene Chesties and can't fault them for quality, but they are just soooooooo hot ! Seriously, at this time of year, you will need shorts on inside them !
So considering the above, if you can afford them, buy a decent set of breathables. In winter they will serve as overtrousers if you like and keep you dry in all conditions, not just wading !
I believe a few on here have spoken about the Bison brand, which you can pick up on E-Bay quite reasonably !
My friend has the Diawa Neoprenes and they seem fine, the sweating problem aside !

Like Paul said, neoprenes are HOT! Go breathable, save up a little and get Orvis. No quibble warranty so in theory you can spend £140 now and have waders for life! Not sure the warranty covers rips but they'll replace if they leak (which all waders do eventually!)

Adam

Like Paul said, neoprenes are HOT! Go breathable, save up a little and get Orvis. No quibble warranty so in theory you can spend £140 now and have waders for life! Not sure the warranty covers rips but they'll replace if they leak (which all waders do eventually!)

Adam
The warranty doesn't cover rips, but rips can be repaired. It does cover leaks from seams.
I prefer waist waders for most fishing but also have a pair of chesties for when I need to go deeper. Breathable is the way to go for all year fishing. Get a largish size and you can comfortably wear layers of stuff underneath when the winter comes. Neopreens in very cold water or perhaps the sea, but personally I would avoid them. Most of the main makers waders are pretty much of a muchness. The warranty from Orvis is worthwhile and if you live near a Orivis shop you can also try before you buy from their full range.
Get some vibram soled boots or trainers big enough to wear with them rather than buying over priced and usually poorly made "wading" boots. Vibram is the best all round souls to have. Felt souls are to be avoided by any one who fishes on or around muddy banks (so more or less any where barbel live).

I have some Bison waders, I paid £75 from Fishing Mad on ebay which is a decent price for breathables and the quality seems good, though the stocking feet are neoprene so your feet still end up swimming in sweat. The down side is the colour which makes you look like a fluff chucker, and they are a very baggy fit, so they also make you look like a FAT fluff chucker.

I don't mind weaing them if I'm intending to wade, but I wouldn't wear them as over-trousers as I do feel rather ridiculous in them ;) Also the material doesn't look too tough so I'd be weary around undergrowth and brambles, though I've not actually had any problems.

I bought some cheap but decent Karrimor boots from JJB Sports, but the stocking feet are bulky to I had to go for size 12s for my size 10 feet!

Chech out the Snowbee website, look at clearance items, got a pair of zip front chesties(breathables) for £130, half price, the zip is very handy when nature calls when its raining, no having to remove coats etc. Downside is they are felt soled bootfoot, but a set of studs sorts out any problems on muddy/grassy banks.
peter

I also have the Bison's, purchased last October from fishingmad paid £100 for the waders & wading boots. They have had a lot of use & still holding up well. for this sort of money if you find waders are not for you, not to much has been lost!

Back