• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What to do??

The match reports indicate that Clattercote's roach go 2lb 8oz+ but god knows how anyone could viably target them, what with the head of carp present.
For the roach head to pegs opposite side of lake from pegs 1 - 10, the horrible swims that are constantly shaded.

Rather says a lot about some anglers ability to locate and catch carp..... Two rods, 12lb line, bite alarms etc etc
(not exactly the hardest carp water)

Some local pools for roach, rudd and perch until the waters warm up enough for tench to switch on. If I get seriously bored I might even try carp fishing! :D

Its gravel pit tench and bream for me, probably some of my favourite fishing so I really cant wait. I might do a bit of canal carping as well but once the tench start piling on the weight in May thats all I'll be thinking about....

Couldn’t have put it better myself mate!

I tend to slow down in the closed season to get some hours in credit before the season opens, but I do plan to spend some time teaching my youngest son how to use a rod and reel on the canal or local pond. :)

Any other spare time will involve a bit of pre season reconnaissance or tench fishing.

Got a long weekend this week though and it's looking OK.

STEVE

Nick, that wouldn't be a certain head banger of a gravel pit near Oxford that you're talking about would it?

Ahaha! It most certainly would mate although that place has actually been really kind to me, I like to think I've got it fairly sorted now as well so this year I'm hoping to get through to one of the bigger girls that I'm convinced are in there ;)

I think I'm in the minority that it's been kind to me though, the list of people that have been nearly broken by it is quite a long one, just ask Tom :eek::D:D

I've started training for my first half marathon which will give me something to do until mid May plus I'll be too knackered to go fishing.

Al

I think I'm in the minority that it's been kind to me though, the list of people that have been nearly broken by it is quite a long one, just ask Tom :eek::D:D

You're telling me mate! Although it hasn't broken me just yet, so I'll be there once we get some consistent double figure temperatures. Really looking forward to it actually.

Hopefully see you and Tom on there :)

Been looking at a spot on the grand union that I have not fished for years, my brother in law is topping it up with a bit of bait as its an hour and half away so that should keep me busy for a bit, (after I have finished the house work listed on the fridge by her indoors of course) and fancy a try at fluff chucking so got myself a few lessons at syon park....

Andy.

Nick, that wouldn't be a certain head banger of a gravel pit near Oxford that you're talking about would it?

I was aware that Clattercote held lots of small roach, but didn't realise it produced larger specimens? Does anyone have any idea how big they go?

Stu

Stu,
I have no idea how big the Roach do go at Clattercote but there are plenty of 2lb fish so i'm told, i did plan to target them during the autumn but never got round to it
But what i can tell you is that i fished it quite a few times last summer in the evenings only for a few hours and had amazing fun, caught quite a few Roach getting on for 2lbs on very crude tackle (10lb line,size 10 hook and a prawn as bait) What i like and love about Clattercote is its a fun fishery and when the float goes under you really dont know what its going to be ...its just as likely to be a small Perch or a 20lb Common - pure fun

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's interesting to know. Although, as Colin pointed out, I suspect you may be 'plagued' by the carp if you actually tried to target the roach - not that it will stop me trying at some point!!:)

I have a very large gravel pit with some very big tench in that I intend to fish from April.

Love it :)

Ian

Canal Carping on the Ashby Canal, no locks to wash the bait away and some decent carp to go for. Been threatening for a long time and going for it this year.
Plus I've had some glof clubs bought for me for my 60th a full set of lefties costing all of £35. My nephew bought them from an age concern shop in Alfreton.
If I don't take up golf the trolley which is brand new and collapsible will come in very handy!!!

Absolutely no disrespect meant, but i can't imagine stopping fishing in the close season. It's hard to contemplate a weekend off ;)

I like the close season, it's time for targetting big carp, cats, tench and bream. They don't really get much of a look in when the river season opens, but i really enjoy the different challenges.

Still be spending thursday to sunday by the Trent though :(

Tench during April & May - fantastic sport - and they are in great condition!

Tench during April & May - fantastic sport - and they are in great condition!
I have always though of Tench as a summer fish...based on nothing very much other than that was when I used to fish for them! Unfortunately most of the good places for Tench that I used to visit in the olden days (when they had closed seasons as well) are now full of carp and even worse, campsites rather than fishing pools!
If any one knows of any lakes in the Midlands that have nice Tench and don't have tents parked next to every swim by May, I may give it a go.
So I shall stick to rivers and just change my species and methods to suit.

Back