• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What to do??

Andy Shaw

When the season finishes....
I normally end up reading and buying rubbish dvds, then do the odd session on a puddle somewhere!!
What do you do, give me some Ideas PLEASE....:eek:

Soon to be bored,

Andy...

lake fishing, tench, carp, trout, roach, rudd,perch,and bream
canals, puddle's, fly fishing,river and lake, sea fishing, fishing abroad, errr, that's it.
boring really.
oh yer, the garden.
or
you could
do nothing
and just walk the river looking for fish aand other stuff.

Last edited:
Getting ready to start eel fishing. Not fished for eels for years and on a few waters that hold some very big snakes.Got a few fish inns sorted with N.A.C

Hopefully catching a few carp off the top which is something i've never really given a go before.

Trevor

Late March i'll be off to the North Wales coast in search of Big Bull Huss and Rays. April and May will be spent in search of some big Tench and Bream on a local pit, then back to the coast for the first weeks of June with the hope of a Smoothhound or two! :)

Find yourself a tench water and when the days are longer fish some dawn starts. 90% of my barbel fishing is done the other end of the day into night so being up early during the close is a nice change. Special feeling when you're on a mist shrouded lake at first light.

Short floater sessions and overnighters for carp will also keep me busy by May.

Plenty of cycling and walking river stretches in an effort to find those fat river pigs come June 16th is also a favourite early Summer past time of mine :p.

So much to do, so little time :rolleyes:.

D.

Some good ideas but the wife just see this post and is now writting a to-do list:(
Have not fished for tench before but have a lake lined up for the close season, a bit of surface fishing sounds good aswell!!
(If I have the time??)

Andy.

What with Salmon, trout, tench, carp and a lot of DIY stuff that badly needs doing, I think my close season is overbooked already, Oh well the DIY has waited a while, so maybe a while longer!!!!!
Andy, give fly fishing a go, great fun, and a decent bit of nosh at the end (assuming you like trout?)
peter

The Sharpness canal in Gloucester always manages to draw me to its banks , It holds shoals of bream , large perch and some large very wild carp that nobody targets, so its got to be worth a try !

What i do is fish clattercote reservoir near Banbury for Carp & Tench on the float with a centre pin - small float fished just under the rod tip with peeled prawn as bait - amazing fun - hook and hold tactics the carp run to over 20lbs
Most people fish it with bite alarms and bait runners - they dont know what fun they are missing on the float with a pin
The reservoir is full of fish including some amazing Roach that not many people target
so give it a go you wont be disappointed
See link
http://www.fisheries.co.uk/clattercote/index.htm

Dave

Oh how on earth did i forget !

Going to Cuba for 2 weeks on the 23rd March,taking a lure rod and a few bits a pieces -should be fun in the sun i hope !
Dave

I just fish for eels on the rivers;)

ONLY JOKING:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its tench time for me, a local estate lake really clicks into gear in early April so that`ll be the main target. Mind you, theres a lake which has done some nice perch so that will be a new challenge for me.

Hopefully if Dean joins the water I`m on we`ll be able to have a few nights chasing eels which`ll be nice:D

Oh, a three nighter down on Horseshoe in May will be the highlight of the close season for me:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm taking up fluff chucking and can't wait to be honest. I will also have a few sessions traditional Tench fishing with a rod and reel. I have a pole but I'm determined not to use it.

I even have some reverse crowquills :)

Getting more retro by the day!

What i do is fish clattercote reservoir near Banbury for Carp & Tench on the float with a centre pin - small float fished just under the rod tip with peeled prawn as bait - amazing fun - hook and hold tactics the carp run to over 20lbs
Most people fish it with bite alarms and bait runners - they dont know what fun they are missing on the float with a pin
The reservoir is full of fish including some amazing Roach that not many people target
See link

Dave

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Conrad

Its gravel pit tench and bream for me, probably some of my favourite fishing so I really cant wait. I might do a bit of canal carping as well but once the tench start piling on the weight in May thats all I'll be thinking about....

Originally Posted by David Potter View Post
See link

[/QUOTE]
i might give it a go.

Nick, that wouldn't be a certain head banger of a gravel pit near Oxford that you're talking about would it?

I was aware that Clattercote held lots of small roach, but didn't realise it produced larger specimens? Does anyone have any idea how big they go?

Stu

Chasing some carp on a right headbanger of a water for me during the Spring. Also got a three night session down on Yately Sandhurst at the end of this month so hoping for a good fish off there.

Back