• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

what size pellets do you use on hair rig

Mario Tucci

Senior Member & Supporter
ive located some big barbel but they are cousers in day light but as the light fades they come on should i try using 8 mill pellets as 14 mill pellets don't seem to be working

Last edited:
Mario, i had my best ever red letter day using 22mm halibut pelllets, ( 11 fish ), tried them again on my next visit ( middle Severn ) and caught nowt, i slowly dropped down to a 12mm pellet, smaller hook, and had 4 fish. If it aint working, i always go smaller.

Mario, i had my best ever red letter day using 22mm halibut pelllets, ( 11 fish ), tried them again on my next visit ( middle Severn ) and caught nowt, i slowly dropped down to a 12mm pellet, smaller hook, and had 4 fish. If it aint working, i always go smaller.
I only use pellets as feed but use boilies made from the same ingredients as hookbait, Klips Sardine and Garlic ;)

Using armour mesh, a thimble sized measure of 3mm pellets mixed with ground pellet is a go to alternative of mine in those more frustrating situations, the resulting hook bait is not as small as might be required as the mesh itself has quite the volume yet, and often enough to remain in the armoury, induces a bite where previously I’ve been struggling.

On my permanent 'Elips' rod I have, more many years now, used three large pellets superglued to the hair in a sort of pyramid shape (often coated in Elips paste) whilst my second rod (if I'm using, say, Robin Red pre-drilled) will fish two 12mm also coated with appropriate paste👍
I appreciate that some anglers insist on using small hook-baits in some pressured waters, but I believe that, for me and my chosen venues, if there are any average barbel in the vicinity, they won't be carrying micrometers to inspect their potential meal before picking up and running with it....as they still often tend to do ;)

I've been having great success this season using single 8mm pellets, even now that the Severn and Wye have finally got some extra water on.
I tie a medium Drennan band to 0.24 Reflo Powerline, then knotless knot that to a size 12 guru MWG so that when I insert a pellet in the band it is almost touching the hook. Hooklength usually 24-30" below a feeder filled with Sonubaits meatfurter goundbait laced with extra 6mm pellets.

Back