• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What month

October probably. Quieter banks, bigger fish and normally had a bit of rain to make conditions better. Plus it’s still warm enough to sit out in

Funny I’d say October is my worst month result wise, usually start getting first frosts and the weather is up and down. I like July and March.

I generally try to give myself a week at it in March before the rivers close and frequently wonder why I bother as I often struggle. October is usually my most productive month for numbers and weights. I used to favour June, new season excitement and all that but the fish are often in poor condition post-spawning.

So many have said March and October, despite the river Lot being much further south than UK rivers it is the same here!

I would think it's the pre-winter binge in October and pre-spawning in March. A couple of weeks into April and it goes from easy fishing to an absolute struggle to find or tempt a fish! Winter fishing seems totally dependant on water temperature.

I read a French biologist saying that the larger, or older barbel didn't spawn.

Given that the Dearne barbel were seen to be spawning around the time of the opening of the season I think for northern waters the close season isn't protecting them. From my observations in south-west France there are two definite seasons out here. In summer they are found in faster water below weirs and rapids. When the water temperature drops below around 12 or 13C they drop back into deeper water.

They seem to spawn around the middle to end of May so March / April is the ideal time.

Back