• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What main Line are people using

Paul Clotworthy

Hi
Am looking to respool my reels been using Gardner gt-hd main line which has been good line looking for some other advice of what people are using will want between 10lb to 12lb line thanks

I’m going to say Berkley Big Game or Gardner Hydro Tuff BUT if you’ve been happy with the GT-HD why change ? You’ll get a dozen anglers on here all with our own favourites, line like hooks, rods etc. are very personal things and if you are confident with it stick to it ‘till you have to change (stops being made) or it lets you down.

Last edited:
I’m going to say Berkley Big Game or Gardner Hydro Tuff BUT if you’ve been happy with the GT-HD why change ? You’ll get a dozen anglers on here all with our own favourites, line like hooks are very personal things and if you are confident with it stick to it ‘till you have to change (stops being made) or it lets you down.
Very well said Bill.

As Bill said above, most people have found their favourite, and often after years of chopping 'n changing. My 'workhorse' for the last ~15 years has been Krystonite (for ledgering/feeder fishing) and I've never found anything to better it. It's supple, good diameter for its strength, clear, knots well, good abrasion resistance, and relatively cheap. For ledgering/feeder work, main line isn't something I even think about these days.

ESP Syncro XT Mono ............. XT stands for extra tough and it is ! but NOT the loaded IMO its not as good

checkout the line tests here

Last edited:
Power Pro braid, 20lb :)

If I fish weedy venues I like to use a line with a bigger diameter or braid, as Paul said above, power pro is decent, for mono, I’ve been using the Korda stuff, sub line. Hasn’t let me down yet

Back