• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What line for trotting ?

Hi Terry, its a low diameter high tech line thats very strong for its diameter and provides a good presentation. I don't use it as a main line as I usually fish the Wye where a more robust line (I use Ultima) is better, I also found that on the centre pin the fine line bedded in too much.

Hi Terry, its a low diameter high tech line thats very strong for its diameter and provides a good presentation. I don't use it as a main line as I usually fish the Wye where a more robust line (I use Ultima) is better, I also found that on the centre pin the fine line bedded in too much.

Gotcha Cliff. I know nothing about the line but thought it may be a 'pre-stretched' thing..which look and feel good, are great as hooklinks, but as mainline tend to snap unexpectedly.
ATVB
Terry

Gotcha Cliff. I know nothing about the line but thought it may be a 'pre-stretched' thing..which look and feel good, are great as hooklinks, but as mainline tend to snap unexpectedly.
ATVB
Terry

This is the line I use on my pins Terry. I think it's exceptional line and it's never let me down.

This is the line I use on my pins Terry. I think it's exceptional line and it's never let me down.

As I said Howard, I know nothing about this line...but I do know I'm always looking for the 'ultimate' (I know, it doesn't exist...unless 'Ultima' is the answer Cliff? :D) It is amazing though how subjective line evaluations and conclusions are, and how they may differ so widely between very experienced anglers.

Hi Terry

What I like about Reflo Power is the fact that it has a relatively low diameter for the higher breaking strain and despite this still has plenty of stretch, it also floats well. I also prefer the clear colour.

When float fishing I use it both for mainline and hook length (in a slightly lesser breaking strain).

When legering I only use it as a hook length and use a more robust line on the reel.

Hope that answers your question ;)

Hi Terry

What I like about Reflo Power is the fact that it has a relatively low diameter for the higher breaking strain and despite this still has plenty of stretch, it also floats well. I also prefer the clear colour.

When float fishing I use it both for mainline and hook length (in a slightly lesser breaking strain).

When legering I only use it as a hook length and use a more robust line on the reel.

Hope that answers your question ;)

Cheers Keith ...I couldn't have expected a more comprehensive answer! If this was a written test I'd be giving you a gold star 10/10 :D
Many thanks, will definitely give it a look-see.
ATVB
Terry

I'm summer long trotting for barbel is all I do now.

I use Daiwa sensor in 6lb on both my pins, and on my fixed spool. I then use a hook length like the match men do tied via a size 11 swivel. As I use maggots 90% of the time it stops line twist.

This season I use Drennan Supplex and thought it really good. The lowest I used was 4.4oz and had barbel on this to over 11lb from the Trent. But Powerflex by Preston is just as good, fine, clear and very strong for hook links.

You cannot go wrong with Sensor as a main line, it floats well to. Because it's cheap and on a pin you can change it every few weeks if you wish. You only really need 100 yards a time on any pin for trotting. Any more and it beds in.

Ian.

I should just say I don't use Powerflex as a main reel line. I feel, and it's just my view, you need some stretch in a main line, and the Preston while a good line for hook links, it does not offer the properties I like in a main line sole for trotting. Also the Daiwa line is so cheap.

As I fish 4/5 days a week in summer trotting 6/8 hours a day, I need to change my mainline often. The Trent is a river full of stones and snags, the line gets cut, nicked, frayed over time. Plus I rate Daiwa Sensor as the best trotting line available. But again, I always fish a hook link so if I do break, the fish only have a small amount of line 10" maybe and a micro barbed hook.

Dicky.

Dicky. Do you foul hook many Barbel when fishing the Trent. I mostly float fish the TT and can foul hook one or two on a day session.

The one thing about reflo power is that if you check the diameter its thicker than it states so 010 is actually 012,its always about 0.02 thicker in every breaking strain.This was a thing Keith Speer pointed out to me a few years ago.I did actually check it and he was spot on.He used Power but changed and was using Reflo Xceed its exactly as it says when checked 010 is 010 etc.Both great lines

Jon.

Have to disagree but respect your opinion. I always use a hook link weaker than the mainline. It's something I've always done after being showed it my a match angler that got me started in fishing. Recently I had another think about it, but came up with the view I was correct.

One/If the lines does break, I only lose a small amount of line. That suits both me and the fish.
Two/I can change down to a lower diameter line and smaller hook if conditions dictate. So if while fishing for chub I get a few nice roach, but also miss a few bites, I can drop down.
Three/I can use fluorocarbon as a hook link if i want to. Another debate but at times it has given me an edge.
Four/It allows me to use a small swivel when maggot fishing.

Currently 5lb float fish and 4lb12oz hook link Preston, or Drennan f/c.

I've been using Drennan float fish this season and find it better than I expected?

Back