• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What landing net would be suitable for this sort of fishing?

Call me old fashioned but I would have liked the boatman to have at least used a priest rather than let the fish thrash themselves to death !!!...:(

To be honest that link should have a warning or perhaps be removed altogether. It's really not the kind of thing a lot of people want to see. The guys watching are obviously as thick as pig**** if they think it's funny.

:mad:

Those fish are an alien invasive species in the USA and are fair game by any means.
I find it extremely patronising to judge other countries by our own over protective parochial standards.

Those fish are an alien invasive species in the USA and are fair game by any means.
I find it extremely patronising to judge other countries by our own over protective parochial standards.

Fair game by any means. Each to their own I suppose.

No animal should suffer like that whatever anyone's views. It's not patronising just shocking that anyone would find that funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, patronising....The only person who had the right to call me son died ten years ago..

How do you think the fish fillets you had for tea met their end? Cosseted in a fishy hospice with dim lights, classical music and their family gathered around as they slipped off their mortal coil or flapping about half crushed in the hold of a trawler before being split from vent to gills and having their still beating hearts torn from their bodies along with the rest of their organs?

Fair means or foul when applied to invasive species means exactly that. In this country there is a fish called the top mouthed gudgeon (TMG) this is also an invasive species. The EA takes the threat posed by these little monsters so seriously that in order to eradicate them they will net or electro-fish affected waters to remove as many of the other native species as they can before poisoning the water to kill the TMG. It also kills any other fish or wildlife left in the lake. This is a radical solution to a serious threat though nonetheless a very unpleasant experience for the fish.

And then there is the signal crayfish, catch one of them and you can't take them home for tea without the required licence and legally you can't return them. The only thing left is to kill them on the bank.

There are lots of grey areas in this fishing life, before condemning anyone else's way of dealing with a problem perhaps you should try looking at it from their side of the fence.

Last edited:
Like I said, patronising....The only person who had the right to call me son died ten years ago..

How do you think the fish fillets you had for tea met their end? Cosseted in a fishy hospice with dim lights, classical music and their family gathered around as they slipped off their mortal coil or flapping about half crushed in the hold of a trawler before being split from vent to gills and having their still beating hearts torn from their bodies along with the rest of their organs?

Fair means or foul when applied to invasive species means exactly that. In this country there is a fish called the top mouthed gudgeon (TMG) this is also an invasive species. The EA takes the threat posed by these little monsters so seriously that in order to eradicate them they will net or electro-fish affected waters to remove as many of the other native species as they can before poisoning the water to kill the TMG. It also kills any other fish or wildlife left in the lake. This is a radical solution to a serious threat though nonetheless a very unpleasant experience for the fish.

And then there is the signal crayfish, catch one of them and you can't take them home for tea without the required licence and legally you can't return them. The only thing left is to kill them on the bank.

There are lots of grey areas in this fishing life, before condemning anyone else's way of dealing with a problem perhaps you should try looking at it from their side of the fence.

Adrian,

I have edited my previous post.

I don't think there's much else to say on the subject so I'll leave it there.

Regards

Dan

Neil, you obviously did not see the part of Daniels post which has been edited out, if you had you would realise my response was very restrained.

Neil, you obviously did not see the part of Daniels post which has been edited out, if you had you would realise my response was very restrained.

No I didn't and apologises if I was out of order :)

FWIW though I thing the bloke in the boat should have done something, after all the speed of the boat was inducing the carnage. But not worth taking a moral stance I guess.

60 days and counting :)

Well, I feel rubbish now for posting it up in the first place. I thought it was an interesting spectacle more than anything- the fish launching themselves I mean, not the blokes in the boat. As for the laughing, I personally didn't get upset about that and I think it's probably the sort of event that if you were there, could well illicit that sort to response. Some may not view it as hugely different to watching John Wilson laugh at a Pike tail walking as it tries to release itself from a couple of treble hooks.

I agree with Neil that the guy in the boat should probably of ended things quicker for the fish in the boat. I think they have a kill what you catch policy there in view of the invasive nature of these carp, but there are perhaps swifter ways of doing it.

Well, I feel rubbish now for posting it up in the first place. I thought it was an interesting spectacle more than anything- the fish launching themselves I mean, not the blokes in the boat. As for the laughing, I personally didn't get upset about that and I think it's probably the sort of event that if you were there, could well illicit that sort to response. Some may not view it as hugely different to watching John Wilson laugh at a Pike tail walking as it tries to release itself from a couple of treble hooks.

I agree with Neil that the guy in the boat should probably of ended things quicker for the fish in the boat. I think they have a kill what you catch policy there in view of the invasive nature of these carp, but there are perhaps swifter ways of doing it.

Maybe like this Howard :rolleyes:
***WARNING,THIS VIDEO CONTAINS FOOTAGE THAT MAY/WILL UPSET AND OFFEND***

You have been warned, DON'T watch it.

Illinois Bowfishing Charters - YouTube

Last edited:
These fish are hated and despised in the USA, they have as little regard for them as we have for maggots.
However, we all know that Americans are little more than overgrown schoolchildren (sic) so rather than bitch and moan they get out there and have a bit of fun with them.

It strikes me as a bit hypocritical that a forum which, generally speaking, advocates a cull of invasive species in our own country (cormorants, signal crays, mitten crabs, et al) and even suggests that otters should be removed should complain when another country chooses to desanctify one of their alien species in the way only north Americans can.

The problem comes from our unnatural over protective attitude for anything which has 'carp' as part of it's given name.

These fish are hated and despised in the USA, they have as little regard for them as we have for maggots.
However, we all know that Americans are little more than overgrown schoolchildren (sic) so rather than bitch and moan they get out there and have a bit of fun with them.

It strikes me as a bit hypocritical that a forum which, generally speaking, advocates a cull of invasive species in our own country (cormorants, signal crays, mitten crabs, et al) and even suggests that otters should be removed should complain when another country chooses to desanctify one of their alien species in the way only north Americans can.

The problem comes from our unnatural over protective attitude for anything which has 'carp' as part of it's given name.

A very good point . Well said .

Adrian,

Absolutely spot on. Our attitude to animals is nearly always a hypocritical one if examined closely based on our individual likes. If the animal in question also happens to have large eyes and is nice and fluffy so much the better. It is also interesting that when wildlife experts, that the public trust, speak out they get pilloried for their efforts. Chris Packham is one of the best of the bunch

Chris Packham: 'Giant pandas should be allowed to die out' - Telegraph

Back