• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

what is your favourite hook?

Chris Cheshire

This has probably been done before, but patterns are always being improved....

what is your favoured hook pattern for general hair rig use?

Chris

The Korum S3, does anyone know where we can get them any more? All local tackle shops to me have stopped doing them as Korum have stopped their production, surely we can still get them somewhere for now??:(

For Barbel (lead/Feeder) Teflon Rapiers, Roach Kamasan B520, Bream B911 and for float fishing for Barbel Mustad Longpoint Specimen eyed Barbed and Pallatrax the hook(even though one broke on me last week).

hooks

atomic grabba gunsmoke finish in size 8. landed carp for my mates to 80lb in france and italy, and awesome sharpeness and strength. perfect for barbel, the more they pull, the more the hook takes hold. very easy to unhook, as well, and minimal mouth damage. for maggots and casters the pallatrax in the smaller sizes takes some beating.

I would have said Pallatrax though let me down recently with a striaghtened hook (size 10) and a high number of turned over hookpoints, so considering looking for a new pattern?

I'd also love to find a choddy pattern that is smaller than a Korda Choddy size 12 which is actually huge (more like an 8).

Drennan SS Barbel is a good strong hook, just wish it had a beaked point as again has a tendancy to turn over.

The Korum S3, does anyone know where we can get them any more? All local tackle shops to me have stopped doing them as Korum have stopped their production, surely we can still get them somewhere for now??:(
One of my favourite hooks also,sadly discontinued.The good news is it has been replaced by the Korum XPower which as far as I can see is exactly the same except it doesn't have the seamless eye.Not a problem if you remember to whip the knotless knot anti clockwise down the shank.

I have noticed a significant amount of barbel that I have caught this year suffering from mouth damage which in my opinion is caused by extracting a heavy gauge barbed hook.

I would have said Pallatrax though let me down recently with a striaghtened hook (size 10) and a high number of turned over hookpoints, so considering looking for a new pattern?

I'd also love to find a choddy pattern that is smaller than a Korda Choddy size 12 which is actually huge (more like an 8).

Drennan SS Barbel is a good strong hook, just wish it had a beaked point as again has a tendancy to turn over.

In a 10 these are the puppies Neil, about the same size as a Pallatrax/Talon tip 10 but way stronger !

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/GP201

Pallatrax or Kamasan B775 in an 8 or above.

Last edited:
ESP Raptor T6 size 8 for the majority of my fishing, although going to try some of those Rapiers as they look a very similar pattern

Hi Chris, thanks for the link but they too are sold out of all but size 4!!:(
They have been the best for keeping their sharpness after several fish and have never bent straight, though my praise could run on, sadly they can`t.

Nash Fangs in various patterns, Gardner Muggas and Drennan Super Spades if I'm float fishing.

For the majority of my barbel fishing I use Drennan Boilie Hooks in size 8 and 10.For carping,Korda Widegape X's.On the subject of the Korum S3 seamless eyed hooks.I've heard that these in fact were Owner hooks marketed by Korum.They will be available again but under the banner of the company,whose name escapes me,that Owner are using to market them in the UK in future.

Back