• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What is going on!!!!

Andy Ellis

Hi guys been back Barbel fishing for about four weeks now i know i left it late to start but suddenly got the bug after a three year lay off.Pulled the rucksack from the corner of the garage and no lies think i have been breeding moths for the local area put it this way there are a few extra happy bats i should imagine.Been fishing on The Great ouse in Bedfordshire and fished as i di three years ago 10"-12" braided hooklengths to one metre leadcore with quick release weight system occaisionaly using a backlead swim permitting with my rod quite low if i can.I have used boilie and pellet so far to no avail baiting two or three swims moving between them and sometimes fishing stationary and nothing but others have been catching fair play to them:confused::confused::confused: Starting to feel like i lost the old majic stated full of confidence now im at that point where im thinking what have i done i was better off at home (no quite that bad).Any one got any advice has the ouse not been fishing well i noticed its coloured but my bait stinks and been using sticks of smelly bait.I have been out in some awesome feeling conditions and have had nothing at all grrrrrrrr Going out again tommorow night for a few hours unsure about it as temps gonna drop but if your not there you dont stand a chance.

Last edited:
You will just have to try harder Andy lol. Failing that come up to the Trent and catch some "easy" barbel with me.

Anytime pal

Jon

Was gonna say something similar Jon. I'm a fairly new barbel angler, and trips to more prolific rivers like the Trent and the wye are great for getting a few fish on the bank. Not that's a slurr on those rivers or the anglers that fish them, it's just if you get location right, you could IMO have as many fish in a few pegs, as a mile of G.ouse.

If others are catching then maybe you could ask wait bait and tactics they are using?

Location is pretty much everything so be happy you are in an area with some of those rare Great Ouse barbel.

Stephen

Thanks for the replies guys baited three swims the other night shared a big swim with a mate and said to my mate well move into the two swims i baited later what you reckon ? in the end i had to convince him to move downstream with me to the two spots i fancied both guess what he had a big grin and a 9lb barbel same baits halibuts as well i even bought Hinders elips barbel bomb pellets and halibuts with two bags of barrell boilies to try still waiting to catch lol

John as for the Trent went there near Newark about four year ago in high water after good rain and had the time of my life lost alot of leads and feeders on the rocks but well worth the lost tackle.I am going to go up very soon trust me will do me a world of good to know my rigs work or not lol

If others are catching then maybe you could ask wait bait and tactics they are using?

Location is pretty much everything so be happy you are in an area with some of those rare Great Ouse barbel.

Stephen

Good idea mate but Ouse anglers as im sure you know are quite a secret breed well the ones i have come accross are.:)

Not sure anywhere is that easy at the moment. Generally in the east of the country the rivers are low and clear and I have been finding the fish in the deeper swims and for a very short period before dark they come on the feed. They also go off just as quickly.

Stick at it you won't catch anything in your armchair at home.

with conditions as they are it may be an idea to fine down your tackle, do you really need leadcore and braid,could you get away with just a long fluro hooklink ? all things to consider.

I prefer to use a combi link most of the time. 17lb Xline for the fluro "boom" section, and any reliable braid for the "hook" section. The length of each part is usually dictated by the type of river/ swim I'm in. Eg, on the Trent I typically use a 6ft boom and a braid section of around 6-8", on smaller more intimate rivers like the Ouse I would probably go with a 2-3ft boom and 1-2ft hook section, using the join to mould some tungsten putty over.

Frog hair is good for straight through rigs. I tend to use small swivels for the join Geoff. Although more so on the short rig, the longer rigs I use the Albright knot. Withe the swivel join I tend to tie the braid section with a half inch loop so I can change the supple section without retying the whole rig. The swivel obviously creates a good base for the putty. Hope that helps.

Well guys went at weekend had an 8lb 2oz fish went totally static with long mono hooklength with John Roberts running rig bead 2 oz lead with a sliding stop knot a foot from that and a drilled bullet for a flying backlead.Thats the confidence back hopefully thats not the only one!Cheers for your advice guys.

Back