• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What is a big barbel..

Ramon San Juan

I know this may or may not depend on the river but

Just how big is big? What sort of weight do people expect to catch nowadays.... Is a specimen barbel still 8lb+

Look at the accepted river record multiply by 3/4 and there is a threshold
e.g. 9lb on a 12lb River Record.
It's up to you what fraction you count - as if it really matters.
(personally I prefer the 1.1/1 fraction!!!)

p.s. (edit) whatever beats your river PB for that river is also a big barbel!

I think most people are trying to catch double figured barbs because they are real specimens then it's the magic fish of 15 lb plus! Everyone enjoys them in there own way whatever size.

Yes agreed with you, Ramon, to a degree. Size isn't everything, though human's are an aspirational lot by nature. At least, I am....and I love the odd double :)

But seriously, it does depend on the river. Some guys are 'chasers' and will travel vast distances to catch the fish of a lifetime. The rest of of, meanwhile, make do with what's available. Whatever floats your boat, really, and it's not for me to criticise :)

It's all a matter of perspectives... if you were a mouse even a small barbel would be huge!

The Chairman on Thursday

Subject: Big barbel

As a young Reg Dwight observed to me when I had the extreme misfortune to bump into him on the tiny Upper Pinn back in the early 1970s: "A barbel is only as big as the glasses you're wearing.".

As ever,

B.B.

The trouble is, that since I had to start wearing spectacles, every fish I catch looks bigger than it actually is. And, this is especially true when I have to put my reading specs on to read the scales.

The Chairman on Thursday

Subject: Big barbel

As a young Reg Dwight observed to me when I had the extreme misfortune to bump into him on the tiny Upper Pinn back in the early 1970s: "A barbel is only as big as the glasses you're wearing.".

As ever,

B.B.

As I said, its all a matter of perspectives..... were they big spectacles or did he have a small head?

Hi men ,

Paul , I would not even admit I talked to the fat poof , unless he ended up wet , well done on your resistance !

hatter

I became obsessed with trying to catch a double and ended up fishing like a plank! Just enjoy being out on the river now and any barbel is a joy to catch.

Mike, I don't think I'd be capable of wearing varifocals without constantly falling down stairs, tripping over pavements and accidentally walking into rivers.

There fine once you get used to them Chris , the trick is learning how to move your head up and down instead of just your eyes ! Initially they can be pretty dangerous , lady walked out of my opticians [ the optician told me this ...] , misjudged the pavement , fell over and broke both her wrists , gulp .They can make fish look bigger though ...

When I was a kid the record stood at 14lb 6oz, (equalled on several rivers) this was a fish so huge that to even see one approaching that size was beyond my wildest dreams, there were also stories about a 16lb Barbel taken by a Salmon angler on the Hampshire Avon, at the time this was a fish so vast as it was hardly believable!

My father worked at the Aldermaston nuclear facility and had some sort of connection with Lady Benyon, a name synonymous with the very famous section of the Kennet now run by Reading and District A S, it was Lady Benyon who allowed Dad (and I) to fish on her estate water

Dad fished this quite a lot as he stayed near to Aldermaston in a local pub, rather than drive 70 miles home every day, so for four evenings a week he would fish for the Barbel, one season he caught 502 Barbel, one fish, and one fish only, was a double of 10lb 2oz, in those days that was a very big fish indeed!

I mention this story only to illustrate just how very fortunate we are in this golden age of very big Barbel; it seems the expectation that every other fish will be a “double†is now “the norm†yet there was a time (and it was not that long ago) when a “double†was the fish of the season and on some rivers the fish of a lifetime.

For myself I am just happy to catch any fish, it is not all about size at all, it is more about how I catch them, and for me that is enough!!

Tight Lines

hi all,
must agree that the size of a "big" barbel is all about perspective the0.75 of a river record at first seems like a good benchmark but my personal best from a couple of yorkshire rivers is well below half the river record so big for me from those rivers would be anything that beats my current p.b on those particular rivers, meanwhile i love to catch barbel of any size from any river, and if i'm not catching; well, the being there is enough,
cheers, leon

hi all,
must agree that the size of a "big" barbel is all about perspective the0.75 of a river record at first seems like a good benchmark but my personal best from a couple of yorkshire rivers is well below half the river record so big for me from those rivers would be anything that beats my current p.b on those particular rivers, meanwhile i love to catch barbel of any size from any river, and if i'm not catching; well, the being there is enough,
cheers, leon

I think Leons philosophy is spot on . We can all get obsessed with this ''size matters '' , ''more doubles = better angler tosh ''. Re Keiths comments , on many rivers in the NE of the UK a 10lb + barbel is still a fish of a lifetime never mind a fish of the season

Back