• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What hooks?

I'm a recent convert to pallatrax the hook.

A similar pattern to an old favourite, gamakatsu g point 202/201??, no longer available as far as I'm aware

Get one in your finger and you will know it. As far as I am concerned the hooks that I mentioned earlier are pleanty sharp enough for me, ask the Barbel, they penitrate and once connected they stay put.

Just a point here, pardon the pun. I have never ever felt the need to sharpen HOOKS out of the PACKET, if I felt they weren't sharp enough, then I and maybe you would object to using them?? The hooks I use are beaked and most of the hooks I see that are sharpened are straight. As some have said, I personally see it as a fad from the carp world and a waste of money and time imo.

Just a point here, pardon the pun. I have never ever felt the need to sharpen HOOKS out of the PACKET, if I felt they weren't sharp enough, then I and maybe you would object to using them?? The hooks I use are beaked and most of the hooks I see that are sharpened are straight. As some have said, I personally see it as a fad from the carp world and a waste of money and time imo.
Agree totally with this sentiment, hooks straight from the packet seem to enter my thumbs quite easily and I’m pretty confident most Barbel mouths are softer than my old leathery mitts!

I’m glad we’re all on the same page with the sharpening thing.
I tend to run the point down my thumb nail after every fish,if it leaves a groove or better still digs in,it's still good. Used ESP raptors for years but did have a couple open out,although that was bullying big carp away from snags. Have used Korda captors now for ages,seem to get several fish off one hook,unless point turns over on gravel,then I bin it.

Stephen
ESP have got a new range out Cryogen
but have not looked at them yet.
I have enough for a few years and a few saved for Mr Taylor.
I've used them Graham, had the 8 Barbel from the Thames this season on them, no probs at all seem to give a first class hook hold, whilst not being difficult to remove with your fingers, you can't ask more from a hook really ! I think i'll settle with those :)

I've used them Graham, had the 8 Barbel from the Thames this season on them, no probs at all seem to give a first class hook hold, whilst not being difficult to remove with your fingers, you can't ask more from a hook really ! I think i'll settle with those :)
What pattern Granty?

I used to be a fan of the Drennan Contintental boilie hook, but for the last couple of seasons I've been using Guru MWG in various sizes for my barbel and tench fishing and they've been very reliable.

I've just started using the new Drennan Cryogen hooks and first thoughts are that there good. They do have a straight point I prefer beaked but for now i'll stick with them. I use to use the Korum S3'3 in all sizes but not available now. I did have a couple of S3's break on me but with the amount I used I was happy enough to keep using them. I tried the newer Korum kooks but lost 3 barbel on the spin and the only thing that was different in my set up was the hook.. now never touch them.. I think most of the big tackle firms have hooks capable of catching barbel its just a personal thing.

What pattern Granty?
The curve shank in 10, and the Para-Point in 8, both seem excellent, can't really make up my mind which one to settle with but it will be one or the other, i think i might try the curve shank in 8, just to see what they're like, but the 10's seemed very good.... bet you never thought you'd hear me saying i like a size 10 ! :p

The curve shank in 10, and the Para-Point in 8, both seem excellent, can't really make up my mind which one to settle with but it will be one or the other, i think i might try the curve shank in 8, just to see what they're like, but the 10's seemed very good.... bet you never thought you'd hear me saying i like a size 10 ! :p
Been using the Grippers in various sizes for the last two seasons and well pleased with them, but I do like the look of those curve shanx.Good to have total confidence in a hook.

I brought some gripper almost same as T6 to be fair.. I shall be using these a lot from now on

Back