• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What hooks?

Mike Window

Senior Member & Supporter
Just returned from a week on the Wye and although I did ok I had a problem with hooks.
I had one bend and three actually snapped on fish and I wasn't putting that much pressure on. I kept thinking each was a one off but obviously not.
I don't think I have ever had this happen on the Avon or Stour so what hooks would the forum members suggest?
I won't mention the hook make I was using but I think they are no longer available.
Mike

Just returned from a week on the Wye and although I did ok I had a problem with hooks.
I had one bend and three actually snapped on fish and I wasn't putting that much pressure on. I kept thinking each was a one off but obviously not.
I don't think I have ever had this happen on the Avon or Stour so what hooks would the forum members suggest?
I won't mention the hook make I was using but I think they are no longer available.
Mike
I'd be interested to know the make of hook you were using, but I can see why it's no longer available. What sizes were you using?

Drennan Continental Boilie hooks for me too

Korum Xpert specimen for me...in sizes 12/10 on Severn. Others seem to have negative experience but I can honestly say they have always been perfect for me as an all rounder ....anything bigger than that I am currently using up last of my ESP Raptors and Fox series 2

Drennan continental boilie hooks.

Gardner tackle Covert Dark, I love the shape and the sharpness is unbelievable, ask the Barbel, I intend to try the same hooks in the continental range, slightly stronger but no extra weight. I use size 10 & 12.

I’ve got a mix in my hook wallet, what I will not use anymore is the Korum’s. They were rubbish, the tip would fold over leaving a useless hook.
The Pallatrax ones have been brilliant and is disappointing the ESP raptors are now no longer available.
Where they old? Any corrosion? What else did your set up include? I used to bend the Drennan supers but I rebalanced things and that’s stopped, I often fish an 18 for Chub without fear.

Stephen
ESP have got a new range out Cryogen
but have not looked at them yet.
I have enough for a few years and a few saved for Mr Taylor.

Back