• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What do you look for in a rucksack?

David you seem to be much the same as me and cut off much of the unwanted clutter, and sew on all the necessary straps and clips in order to get something that is half right.
Colin

If you cut half of the original bits off, and end up with something that is half right....perhaps there is a lesson to be learned Colin :D

Only joking Colin....I know where you are coming from :)

Cheers, Dave.

I do like a nice Chartreuse, it takes a real man to wear ( or carry ) Pink . I draw the line at Tartan though....And Flektarn, or Camo, can't find the blinking thing once you have put it down.

Which has given me another idea, fluorescent ribbons on the straps, or maybe for the Camo boys, a " Find my Rucksack " app for their IPhones. ;)

So much to consider... Too much time on my hands methinks.

Dave.

Korum tabletop ruckbag,chub lowlite chair hooked onto it,one of the foldable korum landing nets and unhooking mat secured to the top with some carbiner clips.
Leaving 2 hands free to carry lots of other junk :)

The question was 'what do you look for in a rucksack?'

Tbh it all depends on what you are using it for, for a quick few hours on a summer evening roaming a small river a simple shoulder bag much as a fly angler would use is plenty. As the year progresses and the nights draw in more clothes and a hot drink are required so my daughters old school rucksack comes out. For those longer stays on the larger rivers I use my 4x4 and park behind the swim. I did have a flirtation with one of those big Korum jobs but found it to be over engineered and ridiculously heavy for what I wanted.
Now if someone could come up with a lightweight frame and a ripstop nylon or Gortex bag similar to the one I used for the Ten Tors in 1970 they might be on to something.

i dont use rucksacks at all these days due to iabilty to carry weight, what i always looked for wa in order of importance to me was
1/good strong comfortable straps
2/ right capacity rucksack
3/good buckles ect
4/side and front/top pockets
5/waterproof base

I have just purchased a ruck sack that ticks most of my boxes. It is 70lt, although does not look that big, it is waterproof, has zipped pockets, comfortable shoulder straps, long straps on the front that will easily take my chair, and less than £30. It is a Shakespeare Salt and designed for beach fishermen, and the only rub is that it may upset some tackle tarts because it is blue and black. It is worth a look on Google.

DoubleT WrapSac.. Mine is almost at the end of its life after about 9 years so I'm going to have to press my spare one into service next season. Shame you can't get them anymore.

Carry the kids in this one.

Ah at last a topic I can sling over my shoulder and walk off with.

I have seen all those attempts at rucksacks manufactured by tackle dealers and they are all pants compared to a simply got to have Berghaus 120 litre P.L.C.E full size system jobby. These are the ones that are REALLY made for the job especially if you are like me and like a hike to get away to secret locations where the fish grow fat on neglect.

I've had mine for yonks and its still like brand new.

Regards,

Lee.

Lee, I aren't taking my two lads with me, 6 ft 3 and 15 stone, and 6 ft and 14 stone is just too much to get into any rucksack.... :0)

Dave.

A couple of years ago I bought one of the original Korum ITMs. I find it ideal bar two points (which may be sorted with the newest version).
1. It really needs a chest fixing for the arms straps (which my old Fox one had) ie a male/female clip at chest level in addiiton to the one at waist level, which does wonders to balance the weight.
2. The bottom should be wider than the top so it stays upright on its waterproof base.

Addition, just saw the new ones have the chest strap. Can this be retro fitted?
CN

Last edited:
hello chris, hope you been keeping well mate:), i cant see any reason a decent sailmaiker or saddle maker cant do that job for your rucsack mate:)

4th.. I want a waterproof bag, that means not have to mess about with covers that have to be pulled out and wrapped over the bag,when there is a downpour, so the cover gets cut off and the bag sprayed with suitable waterproofing agent.

Agreed David! Same goes for my rod holdall.

Stephen

Hi David,

Point taken. Our Sam is 6ft 4" and weights 17 stone so he'd be a bit of a squeeze. Mind you Tom his elder brother fits nicely in one of the side pockets.

My rucksack is made for the job and is fully endorsed by lots of armed forces in lots of countries. OK I'm not going to war but they are rather nifty for fishing as well.

Regards,

Lee.

Hi jw, long time.

Glad to see you are still posting and hope you are well. I will give you a call over the next few weeks if your mobile number is the same.

I see the new Korum ITM has these straps so hopefully all I need to do is get some and thread them on? Did toy with the idea of getting a large dog collar to do same job.

I have emailed Korum via its web site last night.

Chris

Back