• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What chance an “Unknown†water ?

Brian Paul

After quite a lot of research and some desperation, as my nearest “Barbel†river is over two hours drive away, I came across a single reference to a local small river “very, very occasionally producing a Barbel“.
The water is very lightly fished, but is known to hold good Chub. Such is the situation that I would be surprised if anyone had specifically targeted Barbel. The water is well up at present and fish spotting is probably out of the question for a long time now. I can’t sit on my hands until next summer, so will give it a try once the weather warms a bit and levels start to drop in a day or two.
What I was wondering is, are there many of these kind of low stock waters about or are they a rare find, if indeed there are Barbel present.

I know that there are the odd barbel in small tributaries of my local river. The chances of anyone specifically fishing for them are probably fairly slim. I can't say that I've heard of a barbel coming out of the two or three places I have in mind for quite some time. That doesn't mean that they aren't, sensibly, being kept quiet.

Devon, rivers Exe, Culm and Creedy have been stocked with barbel, only about 20-30 miles from anywhere in Exmoor but going how cr@p the roads around there are that could take a couple hours to travel that far.:eek::D

Brian, I used to live in Tiverton in the late 70's so I'm intrigued as to which river you are referring to. When I lived there the Bristol Avon and Dorset Stour were the nearest barbel rivers but I understand that barbel have more recently been moved into the Exe which means that they will have probably also moved into Creedy and Culm. I bet that a few have also found a way into the Tone and I also bet your are referring to one of these four rivers.

The thing about anglers is that most of them are lazy and only interested in chasing fish others have already put on the map. The good thing about this is that it leaves scope for pioneering some priceless fishing opportunities. I don't know much about the Creedy but the Tone and Culm and middle-Exe would be easy rivers to find barbel in by baiting numerous likely looking areas with hemp and fish spotting. As for starting at this time of the year, however, I wouldn't bother. Low, clear, summer water conditions are the time to suss out where the barbel live as, if they are in low numbers, they will probably have well defined hot-spots and not be inclined to move around too much unless they are being pressurised by anglers.

I hope this helps but you have probably thought this through already?

Last edited:
I believe i know a section of river, that may NEVER have been fished, although other parts of this river are quite popular. The problem being, it runs through someones land. How would i find out who owns the land ? Or should i take a chance and just fish it anyway. Its no more than 10 foot wide, but looks quite deep in places, with some fast shallows. Any thoughts anyone ?

I believe i know a section of river, that may NEVER have been fished, although other parts of this river are quite popular. The problem being, it runs through someones land. How would i find out who owns the land ? Or should i take a chance and just fish it anyway. Its no more than 10 foot wide, but looks quite deep in places, with some fast shallows. Any thoughts anyone ?

Hi Derek If it runs through farm land . You could try knocking on the farmers door and be very polite and ask for permission to fish it . If he dont own it he might be able to tell you who do. Failing that go to your local council office and they will be able to help you . Good luck in your search

Back