• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What chance a December Barbel?

Mick Holtom

Senior Member & Supporter
I'm not a BIG fish angler ,happy to get any bend in my rod but get a lot satisfaction by catching Barbel through every month of the season.

I'm a bit worried about this month though. With the river temps quickly falling
and snowmelt/ salts entering the waterways I think I will be struggling.

I will still be fishing but with less confidence.

Do you / have you managed a December Barbel this month?

Micky

Not for me mick ive blanked for the last four years fishing barbal in december .
Mind you saying that very few come from the river teme when temps drop .Mark (hatter) and sue on the other hand do quiet well,there's a picture on the old site of sue holding a barbal on a lovely frosty morning.
Hard work all the way.

Paul

Had two from the WAvon including this 9.11 in the first week of December. River was 6ft up and the temp when I got in the car at 830pm was a barmy 12 degrees! Not proper December weather though... wouldn't really fancy it from now till New Year. Got to be in it to win it though...

100_1597.jpg

Mick,

IMO, with water temps how they are at the mo, don't waste your time on barbel mate.

You can still have great sport targeting chub, grayling or perch etc, in these temps.

Travel light and stay on the move is the key to success in these conditions. The fish won't be very active, or willing to move far, so you must go to them.

However, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule!

If you are hell-bent on a December barbel, target the deeper areas or places where an in-flow of slightly warmer water comes into the main river. i.e. in-flow pipes from factory cooling systems etc.
Another obvious time to go after barbel, is when a mild front moves in, after a cold snap. This will generally bring rain, which can quickly raise the water temps that all important few degrees, which may bring on a brief feeding spell for barbel, and offer you that chance.

You'll still have to be in the right place at the right time tho!:rolleyes:

Soz if I'm trying to teach me granny to suck baby chickens here matey?;)

I'm always concerned of coming across as patronizing when posting, I must admit, it's stopped me from posting much of the time over the years. It's all too easy to upset folk when trying to give an answer in just a few lines of text!

Good luck, and I hope Santa brings you a December barbel!?

Daz.

Last edited:
Mickey,

I would say to carry on as you are, with your meat rolling, much better chance of passing a bait past a Barbel's nose than any static method, make it smelly...........

We all need to remeber that unlike Carp in stillwater, Barbel and other river species, need to hold station in the flow, that requires energy and that energy needs replacing, in other words they have to feed , no matter what the water temperature in order to survive, bigger Barbel needing to feed more. Yes, they will live on reserves for a while but I find they will still take a feed if it is placed in front of them.......good luck mate..

Daz, in this new world of BFW, we can all hopefully post our thoughts and opinions in an open manner without worrying about being patronising.

I know Mickey, I know he doesn't need much advice on how to catch Barbel, but I also know that he is not posting a question just for himself, he will pick up any pointers he is not aware of but he will be thankful also of posts which inform people at all levels of their learning how to do things better.

That point I believe was often forgotten on the old board and people (myself included) could take things the wrong way, if we all try to take posts as they are intended, as helpful advice then BFW can live again...........

If you haven't caught a December Barbel already I think the chances are becoming less than favourable.
I know a few came out of the WA early in the month when as Chris says it was an unseasonally balmy 12 degs.
I was out a few times during this time and failed to bank any. :(
Had some fun with the Chub though so no complaints.

Been keeping an eye on the forecast and possibly some warmer weather and rain after Christmas so it could still be a possibility.
Got to keep hoping....

temps

Very interesting thread is this...
I wonder how long barbal can go without feeding ?.
If feeding is triggered by the temps are they forced to feed in a long cold snap ?.I suppose it will depend on how well they have fattened up in the warmer months.

Paul

Andy Little talks about finding a shoal of Barbel that he describes as hibernating during a cold spell in a sidestream off the Kennet. He was able to get down to them and touch one with a landing net pole, which did spook them. I would fancy it after a sustained cold period if there was a bit of rain, even if the temp didn't rise much at all... but to be honest, I'm unlikely to try. If I get one it will be while I'm Chubbing...

I've had barbel roll in my pike swim in the past and brought different tackle on my next trip and caught pike and barbel. Opportunities like this must be jumped at.

When it is cold and horrible (like now) you can often winkle a barbel out an hour or two after dark. They often have a short but regular feeding time then and the well wrapped, hardy soul can take advantage. Although I'm usually at home by then :)

Think i'll stick to Chub, Roach, Dace and Grayling until it warms up a little ! I don't get out that often, so catching anything in this weather is a bonus...

If you've set yourself the December target for barbel then I think it is worth persevering. It is not impossible, but as many have said here already, it will be tough. I would concur with the rolling meat approach. It is not a method I use often, but others that roll baits regularly (and well) do seem to catch in all months and all weathers.

Best of luck!

(Wonder why Andy Little felt the need to touch those barbel with a landing net pole?)

I have already caught December Barbel for this year and would be targeting Zander now (if I could get out) but if the forecasts are right, with the temp and rain after xmas then you would be in with a shout. A few years ago after similar conditions I plugged away and had five 8lb plus Barbel on New Years Eve with the river about the break its bank, and that yorkshire river was very cold (sub 40F)

Back