• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What chair?

Stuart Ireland

Hi all im looking to buy a new chair but really don't know where to start my old nash chair is just too old heavy and uncomfortable! So what have people got and what do you recommend? Thanks

Hi Stuart. It just depends really on the type of venues you fish and whether you fish long sessions in one swim or roving around.
I have 2 chairs at the moment. A fox adjusta level accessory chair which has folding legs at the bag for steep banks and you can use matrix accessorys on the front legs. This is useful on rocky bank when you can't get banksticks in.
It weighs in at 6kg but with a padded carry handle its very easy to carry under your arm, or you can use the shoulder strap.
My other chair is a wychwood solace low chair which has the folding legs at the back again with a bar. It has arms and weighs in at just over 4kg.
As most of my sessions are short i am looking at a the Trakker RLX Nanno chair now. Same type with folding back legs but weighs only 2.7kg!

Dave

JRC Stealth XTra lite. 3kg good mudfeet very strong and light aluminium, sprung seat with good adjustable legs.. No arms, which is a plus for me, there is a version with arms if you like them. My last JRC chair lasted 20 yrs, frame was fine.

Stuart, if you can find one the Chub Hi-Lite.....longer legs help on steep banks and also better for getting up from if you are suffering from dodgy knees :-(

It really does depend on what you intend to use it for ?
I have been carp fishing in excess of 50 years so have a lot of experience in sitting in a chair for very long periods
Now I have just purchased the best chair I have ever owned its amazingly light and the comfort is unbelievable ! its a high back chair with arms all 4 feet push button adjustable not cheap but you do get what you pay for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcArnvCJjes

iv got a korum Accessory chair" never a problem and got the x long extendable legs" so can place chair further out in those shallow glides"

it must be good if its took my fat ass all this time! EEK :)

It really does depend on what you intend to use it for ?
I have been carp fishing in excess of 50 years so have a lot of experience in sitting in a chair for very long periods
Now I have just purchased the best chair I have ever owned its amazingly light and the comfort is unbelievable ! its a high back chair with arms all 4 feet push button adjustable not cheap but you do get what you pay for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcArnvCJjes

Gerry, that looks superb, but i'd be afraid that i'd do more sleeping than fishing :D

Gerry, that looks superb, but i'd be afraid that i'd do more sleeping than fishing :D

LOL Derek I can confirm its very good for dozing off
I particularly like the fact it has nice padded arms and has a decent height makes it so easy to get up quick when you get a bite

Hi Gerry, it certainly looks the part and would be nigh on the holy grail BUT ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) for the fact that the legs do not lock into position. I previously owned a couple of small older model JRC chairs which were both light ( around the 3kg mark ) and functional and only got rid of them because I was experiencing, more than I cared for and especially on wet platforms, that when I got out of the chair to do whatever and sat back down a tendency for the back legs to fold in resulting in me ending up in an undignified and vulnerable position on my back which only a gynaecologist could appreciate !!!
The more recent JRC models ( and other manufacturers ) have simple spring loaded buttons to keep the legs from folding in on themselves. They are not a triumph of modern science but are effective which is great as far as I'm concerned as I don't really want to be having to check my chair legs every time I return to a seated position.
Anyway, the good news is that I recently purchased a JRC x-lite recliner which is light, well padded, gets me in the perfect position for my al fresco angling siesta ( to which I am extremely partial ), and has the locking button thingys !
A shame about the Trakker tallback as it really looks the ultimate buttrest and I had previously looked at their transformer chair which has a really unique robust locking bolt system on it legs. If this system was present on the tallback then I'd be the proud owner of one now and not boring you all with my inane ramblings ! In this H & S world that we live in I would have thought that locking systems on chair legs would have been the standard by now

Hi Gerry, it certainly looks the part and would be nigh on the holy grail BUT ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) for the fact that the legs do not lock into position. I previously owned a couple of small older model JRC chairs which were both light ( around the 3kg mark ) and functional and only got rid of them because I was experiencing, more than I cared for and especially on wet platforms, that when I got out of the chair to do whatever and sat back down a tendency for the back legs to fold in resulting in me ending up in an undignified and vulnerable position on my back which only a gynaecologist could appreciate !!!
The more recent JRC models ( and other manufacturers ) have simple spring loaded buttons to keep the legs from folding in on themselves. They are not a triumph of modern science but are effective which is great as far as I'm concerned as I don't really want to be having to check my chair legs every time I return to a seated position.
Anyway, the good news is that I recently purchased a JRC x-lite recliner which is light, well padded, gets me in the perfect position for my al fresco angling siesta ( to which I am extremely partial ), and has the locking button thingys !
A shame about the Trakker tallback as it really looks the ultimate buttrest and I had previously looked at their transformer chair which has a really unique robust locking bolt system on it legs. If this system was present on the tallback then I'd be the proud owner of one now and not boring you all with my inane ramblings ! In this H & S world that we live in I would have thought that locking systems on chair legs would have been the standard by now

Hi Dave
you make an excellent point ! your right they should have a locking peg
I think I will drill a hole in the feet to take a small tent peg that would sort it too
Merry Christmas

Sadly not on concrete though Gerry.

May I take the opportunity to wish you a Happy Christmas as well fella, and may your unhooking mat be wet and slimy throughout 2017

Actually sat on a tracker RLX nano chair today and it's very comfy, well padded and very light. It folds up easily and is so light. (2.7kg)
Perfect chair for the roving/short session angler.
If the majority of swims you fish have sloping banks then back legs are not needed imo. This does shave a bit of weight off too ;)

Back