• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What brolly?

Colin Bridger

I have allways had problems with the brolly. Never seem to be able to get them positioned quite right, and usually by the time I have got all the guys pegged out and tensioned it has stopped raining anyway. Once it is all set up and I am reasonably comfortable I tended to stay put when I know I should move swims, but the thought of setting the brolly up again made me stay where I was. Also as I get older I find I am trying to cut down on the weight of what I take to the bank, and the brolly is one of the heaviest bits of kit.

About a year ago I found a solution to the problem I now take a large golf type brolly, which can be picked up for between £5 & £10, they are light, can be put up and taken down in seconds. when settled in my chair I close the flaps on the ruck bag, and can keep myself and every thing else nice and dry. The only down side is that if I have a fish on when it is raining I have to put the brolly down and get a bit wet, but who cares if they have a fish on!

I do exactly the same mate, got one for the sudden downpour.
Fits nice inside my quiver sleeve with rods and net.

Saved me getting a sudden soaking on many occasions, lol

If im fishing in one spot for a length of time I take my Dave lane sti brolly.

I have 2 types that i use, for night and long trips i use the mission shelter and for short evening hit and run jobs i use the mission brolly, it only weighs 1.7kg and is more than big enough at 50" to keep the lot dry:)

Sounds like you'd be better served with a chuffing great poncho. What happens with a hand held golf brolly when it gets windy?

The Chairman on Wednesday

Subject: Parasols

Never use the things myself, but I recently bought a a couple of dozen for our fragrant Lady Guides. In silk and lace, damned pricey.

As ever,

B.B.

Lady_with_parasol.jpg

Why bother when for ten quid you can buy an Aldi brolley which is also light and waterproof. My current one is into it's third season now, The only maintenance it has had is the annual coat of Thompsons water seal which all my kit gets in the close . It's fine for those summer nights, the odd storm and keeping the sun off you. For ultra light stalking I use a poncho and for winter fishing I use my Angling Intelligence shelter. I toyed with the golf brolley for a while but found it was sometimes more bother than it was worth.

Are we the only fishing nation that goes fishing with an umbrella? Perhaps it is a London Gent thing that has transferred itself from the Banking world to the banks. As said a Poncho is far beter IMO.

picked up a ck kinetics (made by the dreaded dragon carp camp).
its the size of a golf brolly n the same weight too.
but this also has a small tube on the end of the handle into which an adjustable spike fits into,to anchor into the ground.
it also has a loop on the top to attach guy ropes if needed.it also comes in its own carry case.now into its 3rd season n only cost me a fiver from the man on the mike at one of his shows....bargain or what.....n it dont leak either !!!!!

Anyone used the Daiwa ones like this? - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-TEA...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item4cf050fe9d

I need to get a new one, hopefully light and of reasonable size, as my old one weights a tone and is as good as useless. Someone also mentioned thar Argos do a half decent cheapish one, any thoughts gents?

Haydn

In spite of my hatred for them Umbrellas not Argos:) I thought it would be good idea to buy one from the Cheltenham Argos,( it was for the dogs you see), anyway when we opened the thing up at home it had more hole than a collinder, not the ideal thing for a brolly, took it back and all the others had holes too. What ever happened to quality?.... Oh Yes China.
Hope this review helped :eek:

Back