• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Bivvy?

Paul Brown

I'm in the market for a new bivvy for some overnight sessions during the summer with my son. I have trawled the technical press and internet sites looking at the options and come down to a choice of three.

TFG Force 8 2 man
Nash Hooligun 2
JRC Contact 2

Trouble is I can't make my mind up which one to opt for and am looking for any current thoughts on relative performances.

Has anyone had an experience of using these, or even already compared them when buying?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Paul

Go with the JRC, great bivvy's for sensible money. The TFG has a bad rep in carp angling circles for falling apart quickly and i have witnessed a couple do just that my self. The nash is a thread the poles job which in itself isn't a major problem but the bivvy will be nowhere as stable as the JRC pramhood style.
Jez

Yeah the shakey is a decent bivvy for the money very reliable, as for the trakker armo great bivvy but in a different price range to those suggested. If on a budget JRC make some superb bivvy's.

Jeremy / David

Thanks for your thoughts, I hadn't seen the Shakey one and it looks quite a good bet. Trakker Armo is obviously a nice bit of kit but for half a dozen or so nights a year a little more than I really want to be paying.

Interesting how people either love or hate the TFG Force 8's with little middle ground.

cheers

Paul

i'm not sure about daiwa modern day products.
they seem to have dropped the ball.

Paul - i'd check the dimensions and suggested layout of all the bivvies you are looking at before you buy and choose the one that suits what you had in mind. Some 2 man models are much bigger than others. ;)

The JRC Contact 2 man is quite small as it is designed to have the 2 bedchairs together - side by side in the middle of the bivvy - with access around the sides. It isn't big enough to have 2 bedchairs either side with a gap in the middle like some. It has it's advantages in that it will fit into most swims where as some of the bigger 2 man bivvies won't! I can't comment on the others but know a few chaps who own the JRC and it's a great buy. :)

Thanks Darryl.

I've had a closer look at the sizes of these bivvies and realised that a one man Chub S-Plus at 2.9m x 2.3m is only a little smaller than the JRC Contact 2 man at 2.8m X 3.05m. The Daiwa 2 man comes in at 2.8m x 2.2m which is actually smaller than the Chub 1 man for just about the same price excluding special offers!

Now leaning towards the Chub version as being best bet.

Cheers

Paul

Hi fellas

My vote would be the JRC STI Brolly got mine for £99 quid, you can set it nice and low, love mine to pieces, but the only downside is the overwrap is just as expensive as the brolly!!

Back