• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

what bank sticks ???????????

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
( I fish the Tidal and middle Trent )

What 48" type storm poles do you folks use / recommend screw type ...or ... point ?

I must confess to like using a pod I have the Mk 2 Korum that I prefer but also have the Pro logic thats a bit more of a faff setting up and heavier that I use very occasionally never ever had a problem

but recently fishing swims where sticks could be better so whats the best AND WHY ?

Screw type are best by a mile. I've got some old korum ones with a really coarse screw which will go into owt.
Don't think they do them anymore.

Don't think they do them anymore.
Isn't that always the way, make something good that lasts and they don't make any more sales, or change them for something not as good but then ensures further sales.

The number of times I have asked for something and they are no longer available but a cheaper, more poorly bit of kit is available or you get the "don't get any call for them anymore" spiel.

Fox 48inch for me Gerry. Don't buy the screw version though. Just makes it hard work.

Why do you want a screw type for a rod rest?
I can understand for storm poles where they are pinning down a shelter in the wind but a straight spike for a rod is far more convenient

I use Fox and Korum, both adjust with the lever/clip mechanism. Both are decent. Bought a few Cygnet ones earlier in the year (on sale) with the old style screw/bolt. They look robust and well made, but they’re absolute crap and ones to avoid, in my opinion.

I can understand for storm poles where they are pinning down a shelter in the wind but a straight spike for a rod is far more convenient

The screw tips are ideal when fishing from really rocky/stoney/gravelly swims when pushing normal sticks in is difficult.
It isn't to stop them pulling out. It is purely for screwing them in through all the obstacles.

If you're fishing with 2 rods and using a buzzer bar with 2 rod rod-rest heads (or alarms) then I find a fine pointed screw tipped front rest/stick better. You can push it into the ground (as it's fine pointed) then give it a few twists to 'lock' it in place. This reduces the likelihood on the buzzer bar twisting out of its desired position/alignment.

The screw tips are ideal when fishing from really rocky/stoney/gravelly swims when pushing normal sticks in is difficult.
It isn't to stop them pulling out. It is purely for screwing them in through all the obstacles.
Better for getting into/through gravel, especially when wading (I'll wade with a waggler and a trundling rod, so take a lengthy rod rest out with me).

I’ve got lots of different types. I can’t really get too excited about bank sticks but in most case scenarios a spike in the ground is my preferred way for chucking on a rod rest.

Thanks for the replies folks
think I will get a pair of normal point Fox Cam lock 48"
as I remembered I have got a MPS defiant digging stick somewhere so I can make a pilot hole if needed thats all situations covered then hopefully

Attachments

• Digging Stick2.jpg
    Digging Stick2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 282
I always use screw tip ones. Even when the mud is baked hard. Anyone know of a brolly pole with screw tip?
Always these were known as power spikes

When i used to use brollies with fixed poles (not used these for years) i had power spikes, but you need to check the diameters I seem to recall.

Back