• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What are your top ten angling books?

I agree with Trefor West/Tony Miles Quest for Barbel

John Wilson wrote some good books

but no Fred Crouch or Peter Stone???

Here’s my top 5 ( in no particular order ):
Elite Barbel..Tony Miles
Casting at the Sun.. Chris Yates
A line on the Water..Stephen Harper
A Dream of Jewelled Fishes..John Aston
Red Letter Days.. various authors ( This ‘lives’ in my loo ! ).😵‍💫

G.T.

Paul Rogers, A Good Angler in his Time.
A Barbel Legend
A great read and I would say "a good angler in ALL his time". Simply the best Angling book ever. I was very lucky to get a rare signed copy.
Thank you Gary, really appreciate your support for my book.
If anyone is interested in a copy, I still have a few left.
£12 plus postage.

1 Confessions of a carp Fisher- BB
2 Casting at the sun - Chris Yates
3 The carp strikes back - Rod Hutchinson
4 Redmire Pool - Kev Clifford & Len Arbery
5 Quest for carp - Jack Hilton
6 Mega Pike - Eddie Turner
7 Doomsday book of mammoth Pike - Fred Buller
8 Elite barbel - Tony Miles

Joe, agree with you about Graham Marsden one of my angling hero’s too. Fishing Magic under his editorship was essential reading.
Fishing magic was the website and forum that he moderated and ran. The mag was Coarse fisherman.

I met and fished with Graham for fishing magic in an inter-site challenge match. It was basically a match between angling forums; fishing magic, maggot drowners, anglers net and two or three others. Fishing magic was/is a specimen based forum with anglers that weren't necessarily match orientated, as a team we came last even though I won the match outright with three carp on the pole for 28lb IIRC.

CF was the last great angling mag IMO!

Elite barbel is my number one book as Tony had the knack of actually putting you there on the wind and rain swept banks of the Ouse, and suffering the long trudge across fields knee deep in mud after yet another blank, something we can all relate to. This led to a feeling of elation when he caught some of those monster barbel and this book more than any other inspired me when the going got really tough. The other books are in no particular order but Elite Barbel is a classic.

Elite Barbel - Tony Miles
Casting at the Sun - Chris Yates
A Lifetimes Addiction - Trefor West
Big Fish Angling - Tony Miles
Redmire Pool - Len Arberry and Kevin Clifford
Quest for Barbel - Tony Miles and Trefor West
At the Waters Edge - Martin James
Quest for Carp - Jack Hilton
Top Ten - Bruce Vaughan
Bass Fishing on Shore and Sea - John Darling

1. How to Fish - Chris Yates
2. No Need to Lie - Richard Walker
3. The Deepening Pool - Chris Yates
4. Catching Fish - Richard Walker
5. A Specimen Fishing Year - John Wilson
6. Chasing Dreams - Tony Miles
7. Quest For Barbel - Tony Miles/Trevor West
8. Rivers Run - Kevin Parr
9. River Diaries - Chris Yates
10. Four Seasons - Chris Yates

* The top 5 are pretty much set in stone. The rest are interchangeable and probably another 15 that I had to give serious consideration.

I reckon 90% of non-angling ‘serious readers’ could read ‘How to Fish’ and still thoroughly enjoy it. It’s just a beautiful book, in my opinion.

Thank you Gary, really appreciate your support for my book.
If anyone is interested in a copy, I still have a few left.
£12 plus postage.
Yes please Paul, i,ll take one if you have any left, please PM me payment details, many thanks. Would really appreciate it if you could sign it. 👍

Having got bookshelves heaving with angling books this thread got me thinking of my top ten.
I’ve picked out these for different reasons,.. those that have inspired my angling and photography,.. those that relate to waters I know and love,… those that were written 40 plus years ago illustrating the changes we’ve witnessed since but are still relevant and so on.
Ask me again tomorrow and l’ll pick out 10 more!😁
IMG_7549.jpeg

Still Searching - Terry Hearn
Fly Fishing for Striped Bass - Rich Murphy
A Passion for Steelhead - Dec Hogan
First Cast - Terry Lampard
Barbel A Lifetimes Addiction - Trevor West
Seasons on the Flats - Bill Horn
Charlie Cravens Basic Flytying
Quest for Barbel

That’s nine of the 110 or so I own. Number 10 the on the list will hopefully be Chasing Chrome by Jonathon Farmer which should arrive in a few weeks.

Elite barbel is my number one book as Tony had the knack of actually putting you there on the wind and rain swept banks of the Ouse, and suffering the long trudge across fields knee deep in mud after yet another blank, something we can all relate to. This led to a feeling of elation when he caught some of those monster barbel and this book more than any other inspired me when the going got really tough. The other books are in no particular order but Elite Barbel is a classic.

Casting at the Sun - Chris Yates
A Lifetimes Addiction - Trefor West
Big Fish Angling - Tony Miles
Redmire Pool - Len Arberry and Kevin Clifford
Quest for Barbel - Tony Miles and Trefor West
At the Waters Edge - Martin James
Quest for Carp - Jack Hilton
Top Ten - Bruce Vaughan
Bass Fishing on Shore and Sea - John Darling
Agree with that Alex. Tony Miles had that knack. John Watson's Pikers Progress and Terry Hearn's In Pursuit of the Largest takes you there as well. Both extremely focused anglers. Watson's particularly humorous in parts after big pike in extreme conditions. All three, not 'how to do it books'.

Pikers Progress is brilliant for its honesty - very much a "he who dares" angler.

Other superb books that haven't yet been mentioned include:

Every Bit of Blue - Frank Warwick
Rolling in the Deep - Adam Penning
Fantastic Feeder Fishing - Archie Braddock

Frank and Archie's books you need to read with a pen and paper to make notes; Adam's is just brilliantly written

Pikers Progress is brilliant for its honesty - very much a "he who dares" angler.

Other superb books that haven't yet been mentioned include:

Every Bit of Blue - Frank Warwick
Rolling in the Deep - Adam Penning
Fantastic Feeder Fishing - Archie Braddock

Frank and Archie's books you need to read with a pen and paper to make notes; Adam's is just brilliantly written

I really enjoyed Franks book, sold it on but wished I'd taken pictures of a few bits before I did so.

Anything by rob maylin / terry hearn
carp life Mike wilmott
Elite barbel .. Tony miles
The deepening pool .. Chris Yates
No need to lie ..richard walker

I don’t read books as much as I should But do keep going back to a few
Trefor West- barbel - lifetime addiction
James Holgate & Dave Lumb pike books
Just Williams- Nigel Williams
Mammoth Pike - Fickling
How to catch bigger pike - Paul Gustafson( much maligned in the piking world but I love the book)
Assorted John Wilson and Martin Bowler
Pike Fever-Jens Bursell
Willow Pitch series
Yes Paul that Gustafson book is quite a good read (sort from the fishing tackle chapter). Interesting chapters on the Oxfordshire gravel pits near his home.

My way with chub Tony miles
Search for big chub Tony miles
The ultimate big barbel experience Steve stayner
Barbel the immortal challenge Steve stayner
Barbel mysteries and theories Steve stayner
Barbel thirst for knowledge Steve stayner
Elite barbel Tony miles
Fishing for big chub Peter Stone
Pike fishing in the 80s Neville fickling
A fish for every season Stewart allum..

Back