• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What’s reels do people use on Trent ?

Paul Clotworthy

Hi everyone
I use Diawa theory 4000 reels at the moment on the Severn an ribble find them to be good reels can’t fault them at all never let me down what size reels are people using on the Trent I have never fished it before just about to start going there at least once a month

Thanks

I used to use Shimano 4000 OC’s Paul but found them a tad “light” on cranking power with 4 & 5 oz feeders. I didn’t want to step in size and go too big and found the Penn Fierce II 4000 Live Liner. Not too big, not too heavy but amazing cranking power. Designed for hard fighting sea work in warmer climes. Only thing you have to get used to is no backwind but great front drag. They cost about £80 each. HIGHLY recommend 👍

Various rods from 2.5 test curve to 3lb, like the Korum 13ft barbel rod , does not break the bank cost wise, some good second hand reels from Shimano , Daiwa and Okuma amongst others are available if you look around, sizes from 6000 -8000, look for good line capacity, strong bail arms and not flimsy handles that can work there way loose or even snap off.

I have a pair of Fox 2.75 lb Floodwater Duo twin tips , quiver and standard for rivers such as the Trent, coupled with a pair of Okuma Longbow baitrunners, you dont see these reels on the banks much, but my pair have given stirling service over many years and still perform faultlessly.
I also have a Shimano 810 GTE , and a Shimano 3500 B , both would work fine on the Trent. Just realised that relativley speaking , my gear is approaching retirement age , but as everything workf fine why should I change anything at all ?

David.

Depends on the area I’m fishing and the rods I choose, shimano 6000d’s , shimano medium lc’s, or penn affinity 7000 quick drags.

The old Shimamo 5010 and 6010 were imo the last of the quality reels that were robust enough to cope with most river's. Getting on a bit now, but still can get good ones , which is testament to quality for a 20 plus year old reel.I have a few, the 6010 is a beast. I have xtea Penn live liners but nothing beats these for me.

Back