• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What’s everyone’s go to rod for the big Trent

Have lobbed 10oz half way across the Thames and can ping a 6 oz watch lead perhaps 80 yards
as for fish playing action have had no issues but have not really had a really big fish on them yet. Perhaps the nicest thing about them is that you do not need to hook a massive fish to enjoy them and that yes the tip seems fairly thick (hear the basia tip is really thin) but shows up pretty sensitive bites

The Trent is my local river ,
The rods I am using are 1.75, 2.25 and 2.75!.
I only use the 2.75 when there's a lot of water on or I want to use really heavy feeders .
Most of the time the 2.25 is more than adequate for Trent fishing.I love to use the 1.75 rods
When I am fishing open areas ( no snags ) and casting just 1 to 2 rod lengths out.
Not fished the Tidal but assume the 2.75 would do the job.👍

Below Cromwell I use the Korum 13ft, 2.5lb.

I do have Torrix 12ft 2lb which I used for a while down there but they're undergunned and too nice to throw bricks with.

I tend to use 2.2 tips on my old Neoterics, for both barbel and zander, and will step up to 2.75 Powermesh B2s if we have extra water on over a big tide.

I use 2.75 13’ Hi S HW. I’ve also got a set of the Fox Duo Lite 1.75/2.25. Since first using the FS rods, the Fox haven’t got a look in on the Trent and I use the FS all year round now. I’ve had 2 hook pulls in 50+ Barbel, and I play my fish pretty hard as I fish a lot of snaggy swims on the tidal.

IMO the FS are nicer to play fish on than the Fox, which now just feel floppy. They don’t feel 2.75 until you load them up and you can feel the power through the butt section, the extra foot definitely makes a difference to the action over the 12’ version and there‘s more feel and give in the tip.

Back