• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wet wading

Darren Hawen

Senior Member & Supporter
Heading to warmer climes later in the year and will need wet wading gear. Not really sure what I need to be looking at, anyone have any experience of wet wading that can offer advice? Have done some research but really after some first hand advice.

Cheers, Darren.

Where are you going to Darren are what are you fishing for?.I just remembered where(lucky git) India ?,you will need felt soled wader boots, bare legs and trunks(avoid any heavy weight shorts they get wet and chaffe) the scierra models have been very good and seem to last the walking and wading, and are cheap.Gravel guards and a pair of thick socks.Get some sudocreme for between the toes,to stop sand rub and split skin.For wandering about the camp get some crocs you can also go in the water in these.Check with Misty too for more accurate advise

Top man, thanks for that Mark - Just the kind of advice I'm after. Yes it's India we're heading to :) Regarding socks, do you reckon neoprene socks are worth a go? Cheers.

Never used them but they tend to be more open at the top so allow sand in easier, so maybe not.Just remember to get out of the wading boots as soon as you get back to camp and dry your feet and hang wet socks up.I never use gravel guards but end up taking off the boots during the fishing session sometimes to get rid of sand.The sudocreme feels a bit weird under socks but saves so many foot issues.Take some of those screws for wader soles too,they can be useful if your sole starts to peel off on your boots to re secure the sole.

Those compression socks used by runners might be a good shout as they're a snug fit, could end up looking like Paula Radcliffe though! Thanks Mark, gives me something to go on.

Get a couple of dry bags for all you camera/wallet etc,the rafts allow water through and your luggage can get wet crossing the river to the camp

We're doing the float trip so waterproof luggage a must. Just brought a decent waterproof hold-all and looking for a day bag currently. Still got rods and lures to buy as well, looking at the Daiwa whisker spin rods as they're recommended by someone who has spun for Mahseer. Getting quite excited even though 10 months away.

Spent a lot of time overseas in water... ex RN Diver... we used to just use some British forces jungle boots. As for body protection from jellyfish etc. A thin dive skin will suffice.

I use those clear plastic containers with the blue seals and 4 clips around from the £1 shop, various sizes for cameras/wallet etc then dry bag inside a dry bag,there are plenty on ebay cheap from the far east get a number of different sizes.Two of the lads cameras got wet/ruined just going cross the river.

We tried all types from the most expensive down and after 2 weeks the two pairs of scierra boots were still going strong,(one pair was mine ha ha)that was a couple of years ago.I have had a couple of pairs since,melted the soles on Misty's camp fire though,whilst still on (really cold). Some seriously expensive pairs lost their soles after a week of walking/fishing.Do not leave them on the ground at night,hang them up by the laces.

Altogether it's a lot of outlay but will be worth it. Some of the tackle items I can move on after the trip if they survive. Have you got any trips planned Mark?

Sounds like an awesome trip planned mate, I really want to do that tour one day, should I ever get the money together!

Some of my fellow club members are trying to get an Indian trip started .But i have nothing planned this year,might drop into thailand on the way to australia though.

Did see some massive eels on my last Australian trip so might be tempted just for the photo.I hate the bloomin things though.When i was young they made me pick up the biggest eels you have ever seen from the eel traps at Britford one year.The biggest fish was over the british record at the time and its put me off them ever since

Sounds like an awesome trip planned mate, I really want to do that tour one day, should I ever get the money together!

It's a dream trip for us, the seed was planted back in the 80's as lads watching the John Wilson Go Fishing programmes. It's the adventure as much as the fishing that I'm looking forward to.

Those stretches of river down south were very special,the scenery up north is spectacular but the fishing will be a lot harder.the junction pool area is probably going to be the best chance for a big fish.If there is two of you try to fish one from the Temple side casting across to the rock face just above where they burn the bodies(sorry) and the other in the main junction pool below on the opposite side.I think this will be at the end of your holiday though.If i were fishing i would try to find stone loach imitations there were a lot in the river.Try to find out which trip you are on ,he does a couple of raft trips down a few rivers.

Back