• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Welsh Water

Joe Winstanley

Senior Member & Supporter
The inestimable Peter Hammond strikes again! Give the man a knighthood. The extent of Welsh Water's failure is staggering and once again, Natural Resources Wales shows itself to be totally unfit for purpose.

BBC News - Welsh Water admits illegally spilling sewage for years

The inestimable Peter Hammond strikes again! Give the man a knighthood. The extent of Welsh Water's failure is staggering and once again, Natural Resources Wales shows itself to be totally unfit for purpose.

BBC News - Welsh Water admits illegally spilling sewage for years
You beat me to it Joe! I was just about to post the same article! My heading was "Just the tip of the iceberg".
This sorry situation is being replicated across the UK and the EA and other regulatory bodies are powerless to stop it.
As I have said before on this forum, not until the level of pollution reaches a point where voters are becoming seriously ill, or a new, as yet unknown virus is released, will anything be done.
Shame on the privatised water Co's and their overseas owners

As pointed out several times previously, combined private water company debt is £54 billion, whilst during the same period, £66 billion has been paid in share dividends. For me personally, it’s the biggest political scandal of my life time. 20% of the money we pay as our water bill, now goes to servicing that debt. These water companies also want household bills to increase by £156 per year to reduce sewage discharges 😡😡😡

This is one of many examples of the decline of the UK that has been allowed to happen under Tory rule.

The country needs change and thankfully not long to go now. Just awful how so many things will take years to sort out. But there is hope as long as people recognise Rishi Sunak is not the way forwards.

This is one of many examples of the decline of the UK that has been allowed to happen under Tory rule.

The country needs change and thankfully not long to go now. Just awful how so many things will take years to sort out. But there is hope as long as people recognise Rishi Sunak is not the way forwards.
I agree with the gist of your argument, but in this instance much of the responsibility lies with the Welsh Assembly which has largely been under the control of the Labour Party since it's formation in 1999.

Not sure we can blame this on the poor Tories Simon, after all Labour were in during 2004 and then the fanciful Coalition, all the parties have turned a blind eye not only to this particular story but the illegal leaking of raw sewage for decades not just recently as this article states.

As Neil says its a political scandal but its crosses all parties in my eyes, shame on them all.

So many issues need cross party agreement from pollution to the NHS and through to the economy. Long term strategies need to be agreed upon and stuck to. Its fanciful thinking though, as it tends to happen only in the case of disaster (wars and life threatening viruses) As long as our political parties are at loggerheads with each other over everything, the UK public will continue to suffer.

I'd agree with the comments above re Labour and the Welsh Assembly. I've dealt with NRW and they are both useless and underfunded. Keir Starmer has never asked an environmental based question during PMQ's!

Don't forget that when Fish Legal challenged NRW re the phosphate run off into the Wye from poultry farms, they replied quoting data from 2009 and 2015, stating there was no issue WTF! So where's the data from the last 8 years? The bottom line is they don't have it, because they haven't been monitoring it and during this time, poultry farming has increased exponentially in the Wye Valley!!!

The only person to raise the private water company/sewage issue during PMQ's was Ed Davey, leader of the Lib Dems. He was shouted down by Tory MP's and Rishi Sunak ignored the question and instead replied about the Lib Dem policy on tuition fees WTF!

I agree with your sentiments but it is worth noting that the Labour party have Stated that they have no intention of nationalising anything….
G.T.

I agree with your sentiments but it is worth noting that the Labour party have Stated that they have no intention of nationalising anything….
G.T.
Don't you think they'd get a lot more support if they were a bit bolder in their policies?

I have to say if I ever found myself voting Labour it would be through gritted teeth but I wouldn’t dare tell anyone else what they should vote. As much as people love to bash the Tories, and faults they have a few… the legacy left by Labour under Tony Blair is a taste I will never forgive or forget.

Don't you think they'd get a lot more support if they were a bit bolder in their policies?
As Joe used the quote above, we get what we deserve. Politicians sell dreams, or visions of the future whatever way you wish to put it. If they thought being more radical would help them to power they’d do it.
The truth is to my mind at least, the average voter doesn’t want more radical, if anything most people I recon would like a bit of calm and getting on with the day to day rather than turning the world on it’s head for someone else’s version of great. Most of us just want pot holes filled in and the bins collected. In the last election a third of voters either couldn’t make a choice or simply couldn’t be bothered to tick a box when asked to choose between Johnson and Corbyn.

Back