• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wellies

John Care

My Muckboots, the Arctic Sport version, appear to be leaking, which is a bit disappointing given I've only had them two years. Someone has mentioned Grubs to me, which look very similar. Anyone recommend anything? I'm guessing we now live in an age where things are not made to last though, sadly.

Gumleaf. The best wellies I've ever used - and I've had all the usual suspects. Their wellies are generously cut, so getting in and out is easy and the design of the soles makes them comfortable to walk long distances.

I visited their offices to try a few different pairs for size (I bought some neoprene lined ones - super-comfy and warm) - run by a really nice guy, farming background, based in Warwickshire.

www.gumleaf.com

I can heartily recommend Bekina Steplights wellies.
Some years ago I was on holiday and had forgotten my wellies , and needed a pair urgently. I went into Mole Valley Farmers and stood looking at a vast array of wellies of all types.
A chap turned up , dressed in overalls and smelling strongly of farmyards, as he walked past me, found a pair of overtrousers and walked back past me on his way to the tills. He saw me looking a bit flummoxed at all the various wellies and
said .
Get a pair of Bekina steplights, best boots I have ever had, comfortable, warm , dont leak and last forever .
I thanked him, found a pair that fit me , bought them and to this day they have been the best I have ever had , not what you would call fashionable ,not having fancy buckles or gussets at the side , warm on the coldest day but do not overheat on a hot day . Fantastic grip on the soles, and as the name suggests, very light to wear .
Made in Belgium.

I will heartily recommend them, a few friends have bought them and all are very pleased.

Mine get used for river bank work, charter boat fishing on wet and slippery decks, winter beach fishing in - 8 degrees or colder on the sand , walking in snow etc .

They have never let me down . Bekina make other types of wellies , with steel insoles / toecaps etc, I did not see the need for such safety wear but if you do need it they have lots of different styles etc to suit your needs.

David

Le chameau every time add this pair I'm in now for the last 6 year ..so comfy and warm ..iv add hunters and muckboots but tbh there not in the same league as le chameau wellies..hope this helps

I switched from Muckboots to Grubs and so far they have been very good, Ive got both the Snowline and Frostline.

Not Wellies,but have been using Grubs Ptarmigan boots for 8 years,used them for fishing,Rabbiting,and walking,only just ordered another pair,can't fault them.

I've been wearing aigle parcours 2 iso neoprene lined wellies for the last 20yrs. They are very comfy and great to walk long distances in, and they last for years.
A good place to buy them is M A Grigg, you get 5% off new orders when you subscribe.
They are 154.50 which is cheaper than anywhere else that I can find and then you get about 7.50 off that when you subscribe, plus free post.
I just got myself another pair, had to for that price!

Grubs Speyline - vibram soles for decent grip and very comfy / easy to yomp in. Comfort rating to -20 is however bs (even with 3mm neoprene lining and nitrocell footbed) - a consistent frost and I'm wearing Bridgedale Merino socks and foot warmers when static!

I need a new pair of wellies, my current chameaus have just started to leak. I get through wellies like they're going out of fashion, but the chameaus have lasted a good while. My problem is, I have size 13 feet, so I have a limited choice.

My Muckboots, the Arctic Sport version, appear to be leaking, which is a bit disappointing given I've only had them two years. Someone has mentioned Grubs to me, which look very similar. Anyone recommend anything? I'm guessing we now live in an age where things are not made to last though, sadly.
So many people swear by these and yet my experience with them having tried 3 pairs is awful. On 2 of the pairs the sole came away within 18 months and the other pair leaked. I bought a pair of the fortis 2 years ago and they are superb albeit a little heavy..

I can heartily recommend Bekina Steplights wellies.
I followed your link David but couldn't find a price anywhere. It seemed a bit like one of those shops with no prices, you probably couldn't afford it :oops:

I've been wearing aigle parcours 2 iso neoprene lined wellies for the last 20yrs. They are very comfy and great to walk long distances in, and they last for years.
A good place to buy them is M A Grigg, you get 5% off new orders when you subscribe.
They are 154.50 which is cheaper than anywhere else that I can find and then you get about 7.50 off that when you subscribe, plus free post.
I just got myself another pair, had to for that price!
Practically giving them away😁

I followed your link David but couldn't find a price anywhere. It seemed a bit like one of those shops with no prices, you probably couldn't afford it :oops:
Just google Bekina Steplights Paul, lots of shops stock them, they retail at about £55.00 a pair or thereabouts, so quite a bit cheaper than some named brands .
You will certainly find them in Agricultural suppliers .

David

Back